1. Yesterday, South Korean broadcaster SBS’s show Laughing Legend Match (웃찾사 레전드 매치) aired a comedy skit featuring a character in blackface.
2. The show ends with the her dancing to “Circle of Life” from The Lion King.
3. People didn’t find the segment funny at all.
4. The segment has been called racist.
6. And disgusting.
8. People are not just angry with the character’s blackface – they have also called out the entire outfit.
10. And people are saying that it’s offensive to multiple ethnicities.
The Youtube video of the show is now unavailable, and according to Yonhap News SBS issued an apology for any “inconvenience” to its viewers.
Lee Jung-hyun, a reporter from SBS TV, said “I apologize for the inconvenience to the viewers because I could not carefully review the contents, the crew made an entry and immediately removed the clip (video) from online, and I will make sure that the problem does not recur in the future.”