1. Plan your route in advance.
2. Stick to well-lit areas and main streets.
3. Know which houses to skip.
4. Set up group activities for both fun and safety.
5. Wear at least one reflective item.
6. Use a festive pumpkin bucket instead of a pillowcase.
It provides a cutoff point besides being the perfect size for new trick-or-treaters.
7. Don’t suffer for fashion.
You can’t carry the loot home if you can’t get home…
8. Have the kids say “thank you” at every house.
9. Don’t make swaps you (but especially your kid) will regret.
10. Examine the goods before letting your kids eat ‘em.
11. Don’t overdo it.
Candy is for eating, not inhaling!
All textures Thinkstock, all custom animation © Faye Kahn / BuzzFeed