1. Plan your route in advance.
2. Stick to well-lit areas and main streets.
3. Know which houses to skip.
4. Set up group activities for both fun and safety.
5. Wear at least one reflective item.
6. Use a festive pumpkin bucket instead of a pillowcase.
7. Don't suffer for fashion.
8. Have the kids say "thank you" at every house.
9. Don't make swaps you (but especially your kid) will regret.
10. Examine the goods before letting your kids eat 'em.
11. Don't overdo it.
Besides, the kids've gotta save room for Scary Face Pancakes at IHOP!
All textures Thinkstock, all custom animation © Faye Kahn / BuzzFeed