So, there's a phenomenon that's been happening lately where socially conscious guys are getting a lot of praise for being feminists — which isn't necessarily a bad thing!
Matt McGorry, an actor in shows like Orange Is the New Black and How to Get Away With Murder, might be the best example right now.
Do highly praised, outspoken celebrity male feminists take the spotlight away from the very people they're trying to help?
BuzzFeed's podcast Internet Explorer decided to have our co-host Ryan Broderick, who unlike Matt McGorry is not famous or important, try acting like Matt McGorry on social media for a day.
We picked out some of McGorry's most infamous social media moments and tried to see if they looked silly when a normal, nonfamous dude (Ryan) tried to do them. Here's what happened:
1. Pose with some socially conscious literature.
2. Share fun texts between you and women you know.
3. Block women who disagree with you.
4. Record dramatic videos.
5. Do a photo shoot for gender equality.
6. Block more women who disagree with you.
7. "Free" your "nipple."
8. Get in a fight with a woman and mansplain why you're right.
9. Pose shirtless with a book.
You can check out our whole discussion about male feminists below:
A podcast where BuzzFeed editors Ryan Broderick and Katie Notopoulos explore the weirdest corners of the internet. They look at things so that you don't have to.
Contact iexplorer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.