10 Things To Get Over About Los Angeles And 10 Things It Will Teach You To Love
No really, I'm sick of it. Get over it. Stop whining. Here is a list of things I'm tired of hearing about Los Angeles and a list of things I think people should learn to love instead.
1) Hating the San Fernando Valley
2) There are no seasons in Los Angeles
3) Everyone is in the Industry
4) Los Angeles has no Public Transit
5) Los Angeles is a Desert
6) Los Angeles has no Culture
7) Los Angeles is a Sprawling Suburb
8) Los Angeles is here to Entertain You
9) No one is "from" Los Angeles
1) Learn to love the Natural Beauty
2) Learn to love the Literature
3) Learn to love being a Pedestrian
4) Learn to love Transit
5) Learn to love the Diversity of Food
6) Learn to love Personal Space
7) Learn to love Urban Argriculture
8) Learn to love Driving
9) Learn to love the Movies
10) Learn to love Not Complaining
This list is a complaint. I know. Don't think you got me there, I know.
Los Angeles is not like other places. And that's not to say it's the unique and singular while other places aren't. It's just a fact. Los Angeles is not like other places and other places are not like Los Angeles. Just like I'm not you, and you're not me.
A New Yorker, or anyone who has established an address in the New York City area for a length of time long enough to receive mail and then profess their love of the Big Apple, is going to find Los Angeles a big change. That goes for most cities that are around the same age or older than New York around the world. If you need a clear central hub of activity to be able to negotiate a city, then sure, Los Angeles isn't going to work for you. That doesn't mean it's awful, it means it is different.
Conversely, someone from Houston might love the density and the drier weather. Someone from Phoenix might love that it's slightly cooler, near the ocean and not in Arizona. This doesn't mean that people from Houston or Phoenix are vapid, inane wannabe screenwriters and actors.They could be. They could also just like LA or have a new job in LA or any one of another myriad other reasons why someone would move from one place to another.
Traffic is bad, there is pollution and it's a massive mess of humanity. But you need to get over that you might not like it. If you really dislike it, you're welcome to leave. If you're just whining, you're welcome to STFU.