I can’t think of a more important lesson a college student should have rattling around in their head than “It’s not what you know, it’s who you know”. Ok, so maybe there are a few more important lessons like, don’t pass out with your shoes on. And I guess it does have a little to do with “what you know”. I mean you went to college and spent all that money on beer and laundry detergent and books to get an education……
…BUT I DIGRESS!
Yea, so it’s really important to know people, but isn’t it more important that people know you? I mean it’s just common sense, right? Just because you creep on that one cute girl in chem lab doesn’t mean she knows you.
So after filling out approximately a billion job applications and sending out just as many resumes and cover letters I realized that not that many people know me. (It’s not like I’m not a popular guy…I do alright)
So I’m going to change that…..
1. So for starters this is me, looking ruggedly handsome at graduation…
2. All that hard work and all I got was a couple fancy pieces of paper
….In their defense, the paper quality was really nice
3. A college professor once told me a resume wasn’t supposed to have any colors on it…..I like to break the rules
Yes, that is my actual resume…click it!
4. My cover letter even matches my resume
…more rule breaking
5. I’ve built my own site
It’s obvious that you’re dying to check it out…go ahead…i’ll wait…
6. And yeah, there’s a fully integrated mobile version
Admit it, you’re impressed
8. I’ve been an officer in a student organization
You can never go wrong with a 3-piece suit
9. And I’ve written some interesting papers
One of my earlier pieces…
- French authorities have begun moving thousands of migrants and refugees from the makeshift "Jungle" camp in Calais.
- Trump supporters haranguing the press at rallies has become routine. Now, the alt-right has adopted an old Nazi term to describe reporters.
- Jay Z is holding a concert for Clinton in Ohio aimed at mobilizing a group she's struggled to excite: black voters. 🎤
- Girl Scout cookies for breakfast: General Mills says a cereal will be released in January 😋