1. There’s a festival in Malta where men run up a greased-up pole to snatch flags.
2. The pole is called a “gostra.”
3. It’s part of a religious feast for St. Julian, who is the patron of the town of St. Julian’s, outside Valletta, the capital of Malta.
4. The sport dates back to the Middle Ages.
5. And you can win prizes if you successfully get a flag.
6. But it’s really hard to do.
10. May to September is peak festival time in Malta, with towns and villages commemorating patron saints nearly every weekend.
- UK Prime Minister Theresa May is triggering Brexit today. Britain is set to leave the European Union in 2019 👋 🇬🇧
- The US House of Representatives voted to undo landmark internet privacy rules that protect your sensitive information like browsing history 💻
- Companies like Nestle, Ben & Jerry's, and General Mills say they'll keep fighting carbon pollution despite Trump's climate change executive order.
- Two UN investigators' bodies were found in a shallow grave after they went missing in the Democratic Republic of Congo.