It’s happened. The Mormons have finally made it. They were a category on Jeopardy Wednesday.
Chris, Emily and Stuart all picked from this category before picking from travel books or celebrities’ kids’ names.
This is what they had to figure out:
1. For $200: Some of the thousands of young Mormons who travel far and wide as these are seen here.
Answer: What are missionaries?
There are 74,900 Mormon missionaries serving around the world right now. They serve for 18 months to two years, pay their own way and don’t even get to pick where they go.
2. For $400: In this building, home to a church choir, a pin dropped at the pulpit can be heard at the back of the hall.
Answer: What is the Tabernacle?
The Salt Lake Tabernacle was built between 1864 and 1867. It’s sits next to the Salt Lake City Temple on Temple Square and is home to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
3. For $600: Serving as one of the 12 of these, Marion Romney got closer to the presidency of the church than his cousin Mitt did.
4. For $800: In the Sacred Grove, seen here, he had a vision of God and Jesus in 1820. In 1830, he organized the church.
Answer: Who is Joseph Smith?
Mormons refer to the event in the Sacred Grove as the First Vision. It occurred after Joseph prayed to know what church to join when he was about 14 years old.
5. And for $1,000: The logo seen here is of the church’s mega-thrift store called these Industries. The word means honey bee.
All the questions were answered correctly. The Mormon Moment must have worked.
Here’s video of the segment:
- Bomb threats were called into Jewish centers in at least 13 states today, making it the fifth wave of threats since January.
- Elon Musk announced that his SpaceX company will send two tourists around the moon by 2018 🚀🌝
- The suspect in a Kansas shooting that left an Indian man dead thought he was shooting Iranians, and the FBI is investigating as a possible hate crime.
- "Moonlight" won Best Picture at the Oscars, but they accidentally gave it to "La La Land" first 😳