New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg called mayoral candidate Billde Blasio’s campaign “racist” in a New York magazine interview published Saturday.
Then there’s Bill de Blasio, who’s become the Democratic front-runner. He has in some ways been running a class-warfare campaign—
Class-warfare and racist.
I mean he’s making an appeal using his family to gain support. I think it’s pretty obvious to anyone watching what he’s been doing. I do not think he himself is racist. It’s comparable to me pointing out I’m Jewish in attracting the Jewish vote. You tailor messages to your audiences and address issues you think your audience cares about.
De Blasio responded to the comments at a campaign event Saturday afternoon, saying, “I’m exceedingly proud of my family … We all have proceeded as a family together.” He called Bloomberg’s remarks “very unfortunate and inappropriate” and said he hoped Bloomberg would “reconsider” what he said.
4. Read more: In Conversation: Michael Bloomberg
- Immigrants are worried two government memos are laying the groundwork for the deportation force Trump promised on the campaign trail.
- A US federal judge ruled that Texas can't cut Planned Parenthood out of its Medicaid program.
- The UK Supreme Court ruled that it's legal for the government to keep couples apart because of their income.
- Yalla! You can now download a new Arab emoji keyboard that includes a belly dancer, Oman Chips, and more 👏