1. An organization called the English Defense League, or EDL, organized demonstrations in Newcastle, England, following the murder of soldier Wednesday.
Guess we’re not going out for food #newcastle #EDL #mental
2. It was estimated there were about 1,000 EDL demonstrators.
EDL followers came from near and far.Around 1,000 in total. Some violence, police close Mosley Street @ITVtynetees
3. A spokesman for the EDL said the demonstrations were to protest against the “Islamification” of London.
EDL leader Tommy Robinson says they’re in Newcastle to march against the “Islamification” of city @ITVtynetees
4. There were also counter demonstrations held by a group called Newcastle Unites against the EDL.
@louksutcliffe Nice one! #NewcastleUnites
‘Love Newcastle Hate Racism’ photo from today’s anti-EDL march via @arleneainsley
6. Police ensured the groups were separated.
#NewcastleUnites and #EDL well separated by 4 lines of police Funnily, there’s more black and brown faces this side
Interesting scenes in Newcastle #EDL
#NewcastleUnites marching back, getting strung out. Flash points with #EDL
#EDL trying to get to #NewcastleUnites by side streets near Haymarket
Few #EDL stumble into #NewcastleUnites …Beat a hasty retreat
11. Joe, a 6-year-old who demonstrated with Newcastle Unites, just wanted the EDL to stop being nasty and get on with their own lives.
12. Police said they made “a number of arrests,” but the demonstrations went “without major incident,” according to the BBC.
- As one of his first acts as president, Donald Trump announced the end of certain Obama administration climate and pollution rules.
- Over 200 people were arrested as anti-Trump protesters and police clashed in Washington, DC, during the inauguration.
- Donald Trump was sworn in today as the 45th president of the United States of America. 🇺🇸
- Flights around the country are packed with pink as people stream into Washington, DC, for the Women's March, happening the day after Donald Trump's inauguration 👩❤️👩