Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton, the parents of slain teen Trayvon Martin, arrive in court for the first day of the trial of George Zimmerman.
The trial for 28-year-old George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch coordinator charged with second-degree murder following the shooting of Trayvon Martin, began Monday at the Seminole County Courthouse in Sanford, Florida.
Defense attorney Mark O’Mara began the day by requesting a delay to the trial, saying he still needed time to prepare, but a judge denied the request, the Associated Press reported.
Zimmerman has said that he shot the teenager in self-defense after a struggle.
Trayvon Martin’s family released a statement, saying they were relieved the trial was beginning.
“We ask that the community continue to stay peaceful as we place our faith in the justice system, and we ask that the community do the same,” Trayvon’s father, Tracy Martin, said. “We ask that our family and friends continue to pray for us.”
3. Video: Trayvon Martin’s family’s statement.
4. George Zimmerman arrives at court.
5. Demonstrators stand outside the courthouse.
- Rick Perry, who famously wanted to abolish the Energy Department, said at his confirmation hearing to lead the Energy Department he now rejects "recommending its elimination."
- Vladimir Putin has used KGB tactics to seize on a rift between the US and Turkey, an effort to expand Russia's influence and divide NATO.
- Donald Trump's pick for treasury secretary, Steve Mnuchin, defended at his confirmation hearing using offshore tax shelters, saying it was an inevitable result of current tax codes.
- Been wondering why your friends now look like weird glamorous cartoons? That's thanks to Chinese selfie app Meitu. Say cheese 📸