Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton, the parents of slain teen Trayvon Martin, arrive in court for the first day of the trial of George Zimmerman.
The trial for 28-year-old George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch coordinator charged with second-degree murder following the shooting of Trayvon Martin, began Monday at the Seminole County Courthouse in Sanford, Florida.
Defense attorney Mark O’Mara began the day by requesting a delay to the trial, saying he still needed time to prepare, but a judge denied the request, the Associated Press reported.
Zimmerman has said that he shot the teenager in self-defense after a struggle.
Trayvon Martin’s family released a statement, saying they were relieved the trial was beginning.
“We ask that the community continue to stay peaceful as we place our faith in the justice system, and we ask that the community do the same,” Trayvon’s father, Tracy Martin, said. “We ask that our family and friends continue to pray for us.”
3. Video: Trayvon Martin’s family’s statement.
4. George Zimmerman arrives at court.
5. Demonstrators stand outside the courthouse.
- Republicans presented Democrats on Tuesday with a spending plan that doesn't include funding for the border wall, stalling one of Trump's most controversial campaign promises.
- Fox News anchor Kelly Wright and 12 other current and former employees are suing the network for racial discrimination and harassment.
- The humanitarian crisis in Venezuela is so bad that people are walking over to Brazil to get the food and medicines they need.
- A 5-year-old girl cosplayed Jyn Erso so she could deliver the Death Star plans to Princess Leia 🙏