Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton, the parents of slain teen Trayvon Martin, arrive in court for the first day of the trial of George Zimmerman.
The trial for 28-year-old George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch coordinator charged with second-degree murder following the shooting of Trayvon Martin, began Monday at the Seminole County Courthouse in Sanford, Florida.
Defense attorney Mark O’Mara began the day by requesting a delay to the trial, saying he still needed time to prepare, but a judge denied the request, the Associated Press reported.
Zimmerman has said that he shot the teenager in self-defense after a struggle.
Trayvon Martin’s family released a statement, saying they were relieved the trial was beginning.
“We ask that the community continue to stay peaceful as we place our faith in the justice system, and we ask that the community do the same,” Trayvon’s father, Tracy Martin, said. “We ask that our family and friends continue to pray for us.”
3. Video: Trayvon Martin’s family’s statement.
4. George Zimmerman arrives at court.
5. Demonstrators stand outside the courthouse.
- Inside WikiLeaks: A former employee shares what he learned about Julian Assange (including his beef with Hillary Clinton).
- One week into the fight to take back Mosul, expectations for quick success have clashed with the reality of a bloody struggle ahead.
- Less than 24 hours after AT&T announced an $85 billion deal to buy Time Warner, politicians are expressing skepticism and opposition.
- An NFL player paid tribute to Harambe, the gorilla who died at a Cincinnati zoo, on his cleats.