1. Jason Collins became the first out gay NBA player Sunday when the Brooklyn Nets signed him to a 10-day contract.
2. “Right now, I’m focused on trying to learn the plays, trying to learn the coverages, the game plan assignment,” Collins said at a press conference before the game. “I don’t have time to really think about history right now.”
3. But he made a lot of history Sunday night as the Nets took on the Lakers in Los Angeles.
4. Like the time he became the first out gay NBA player to warm up before a game.
5. And the time he became the first out gay NBA player to step out onto the court to play.
The Lakers crowd even cheered when he walked on.
6. And the time he became the first out gay NBA player to get helped up by his teammates.
7. And the time he became the first out gay NBA player called for setting an illegal moving screen.
8. And the time he became the first out gay NBA player to steal the ball.
9. And the time he became the first out gay NBA player to have stats listed on an official NBA scorer’s report.
He played for 10 minutes, 37 seconds, had one rebound, five fouls, one steal, and two turnovers.
10. “Be true to yourself,” Collins said before the game when asked what his message was to other gay athletes. “Never be afraid or ashamed.”
The Nets won 108-102.
- Barack Obama had his final press conference as president, defending his legacy and vowing to fight Trump if the nation's "core values may be at stake."
- Donald Trump's pick for health secretary, Tom Price, refused to say at his confirmation hearing whether or not he would cut Medicare and Medicaid.
- It's official: Scientists announced today that 2016 was the hottest year on record and that greenhouse gases are to blame ♨️️🌍
- "Will & Grace" will return for a 10-episode revival. Debra Messing and Eric McCormack will reprise their roles in the groundbreaking NBC sitcom 📺