1. West, Texas, is a town of less than 3,000 people about 20 miles north of Waco.
2. On Wednesday, West volunteer firefighters responded to a fire at Adair Grain Inc.’s fertilizer facility around 6 p.m.
5. Paramedics used a nearby football field to treat victims and people living near the fertilizer facility were asked to evacuate.
6. Firefighters were able to get the main fire under control around 11 p.m.
8. The explosion leveled the plant.
9. And homes and other buildings within a four-block radius were also destroyed.
12. West Mayor Tommy Muska spoke to media Thursday, and the exact number of casualties was unknown.
13. Officials now say the number dead from the explosion is at least 14. About 200 people were injured.
16. He called the situation “truly a nightmare scenario,” adding, “No doubt, there is a lot of work that lies ahead and the road to recovery is long.”
18. On Saturday, residents asked to evacuate were allowed to return to their homes.
West mayor pro tem Steve Vanek speaks to the media.