21 Teen Movies With Brilliant Secret Details That Make Them Even More Fun
In The Breakfast Club, the nerd's license plate says, "EMC 2" and the jock's says, "OHIOST."
In my definitely-not-humble opinion, teen movies are one of the best genres of them all (suck it, biopics). So, in honor of their greatness, here are 31 small details in teen movies that make them even better.
1. In The Princess Diaries, there is a lovely reference to Pretty Woman.
In The Princess Diaries (2001) Mia breaks her glass at a dinner party and a waiter reassures her “It happens all the time.” In Pretty Woman (1990) a waiter played by the same actor says the exact same line to Vivian after she flings a snail across the room. Both films are directed by Garry Marshall. from MovieDetails
This is the full moment in The Princess Diaries.
2. Cher's report card in Clueless is a gem hidden in plain sight.
3. In Superbad, Fogell – aka McLovin – already bought the friends sambuca.
Here's the moment where Seth demands Fogell do better this time.
4. In Mean Girls, there is a specific type of necklace the queen bee wears.
5. And you know how hoop earrings are Regina's thing? Well, after Cady usurps the crown, she wears hoop earrings.
In Mean Girls (2004), we learn that Regina, leader of the Plastics, told Gretchen that she couldn’t wear hooped earrings because they were her thing. Later in the movie, when Cady becomes leader of the Plastics, we see her wearing hooped earrings, showing that she became just like Regina. from MovieDetails
6. But at the end of the movie, Gretchen is finally wearing some hoops.
Here's Gretchen's whole hoops moment.
7. Adult Jenna's apartment in 13 Going on 30 looks just like the apartment in an article she read when she was 13.
8. These license plates in The Breakfast Club aren't simply irrelevant license plates.
E=MC² ("EMC 2") is Einstein's formula for a specific relationship between energy and mass. Ohio State ("OHIOST") is a university famous for its athletic program's success.
9. In Spider-Man: Homecoming, Michelle is reading a book with a somewhat familiar premise.
10. In 10 Things I Hate About You, one of the teachers sustains his arrow injury.
11. Mr. Worth from Love, Simon wears a pin to show his support for Simon.
12. In Back to the Future, the drummer at the school dance in 1955 plays in a swing style because he doesn't know about rock drumming yet.
13. This license plate from A Cinderella Story partially reads, "2SAM," foreshadowing the fact that Sam actually owns everything her father left behind.
14. In Dope, there is a connection to The Wood, another movie made by director Rick Famuyiwa.
15. Students in Fast Times at Ridgemont High smell their papers to get high from the ink.
In Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Mr. Hand passes out the class schedule of quizzes. After the paper is passed out, the students put the page up to their noses and deeply inhale. This was a popular school ritual of the 60s,70s and early '80s because the transfer agent for the ink got you high. from MovieDetails
16. Ester Dean, the actor who plays Cynthia-Rose in Pitch Perfect, was one of the writers of "S&M" by Rihanna —∫ a song her character sings in the riff-off.
Here's the full riff-off scene.
Here's the wonderful, hard scene where Mark's Mark-ness comes to a head.
18. To All the Boys: Always and Forever gives a small shoutout to another movie Lana Condor, who plays Lara Jean, starred in.
19. In Napoleon Dynamite, the farmer shoots a cow because Grandma needs steak.
20. Miles Morales' spidey-sense in Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse goes off before Gwen Stacy's and Peter B. Parker's do.
21. In 13 Going on 30, the same material is used for Younger Jenna's blindfold, Older Jenna's eye mask, and Older Jenna's infamous dress.
23. In this Clueless scene, Lucy, the Horowitzes' maid, is hiding from Cher's father.
24. Mr. Keating's yearbook picture in Dead Poets Society is Robin Williams' real yearbook picture.
25. At the big party in 10 Things I Hate About You, Nigel with the brie is indeed the (first) person at the door.
Here's the full moment.
26. Mia's fall on the bleachers in The Princess Diaries is genuine. Anne Hathaway slipped in a puddle.
27. One of the scientists on the wall of Peter's classroom in Spider-Man: Homecoming is Bruce Banner.
28. The tape Marty plays for his dad in Back to the Future is specifically an Edward Van Halen tape and so not a Van Halen tape.
In Back to the Future (1985) when Marty McFly scares George McFly into following his plan, the cassette he plays him is labelled as "Edward Van Halen". This is because the band denied the filmmakers' request to use their music, but Eddie Van Halen himself agreed to perform some licks from MovieDetails
29. In Pitch Perfect 3, it's revealed that Lilly was born in Area 51.
30. The stepsisters in A Cinderella Story wear the same colors as the original stepsisters in Cinderella.
31. And finally, in Mean Girls, the idea of being hit by a yellow school bus is seeded multiple times.
Rewatched Mean Girls (2004) and noticed foreshadowing of ‘Yellow School Bus’ in the start of the film Cady almost gets hit by a bus as she’s going into the school, then later when she meets Aaron she says ‘this one hit me like a Big yellow school bus’ foreshadowing scene towards end of movie from MovieDetails