33 Details From '00s Movies That Are As Smart As They Are Subtle
Legally Blonde crew members hid in trees and dropped painted fall leaves behind Elle.
1. "In The Princess Diaries (2001), Mia breaks her glass at a dinner party and a waiter reassures her: 'It happens all the time.' In Pretty Woman (1990) a waiter played by the same actor says the exact same line to Vivian after she flings a snail across the room. Both films are directed by Garry Marshall."
2. "In Juno (2007), Mark dresses more and more like Juno after each encounter with her."
Here's the wonderful, hard scene where Mark's Mark-ness comes to a head.
3. "In Love Actually (2003), the opening montage was real footage of passengers meeting their loved ones at the airport, shot with hidden cameras. Director Richard Curtis said that when something special was caught on camera, they would rush up to people and ask for their permission to use it in the movie."
4. "In The Devil Wears Prada (2006), Emily’s computer wallpaper is the Arc de Triomphe, showing how important going to Paris for Fashion Week is to her."
6. "In Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006), when Ricky Bobby is in the hospital, the monitor says his heart rate is 69 for the entire scene."
7. "In Mean Girls (2004), queen bee Regina wears an 'R' necklace around her neck. Cady begins wearing a 'C' necklace once she has humiliated Regina and taken her place."
8. Plus, a similar thing from Mean Girls (2004): "We learn that Regina, leader of the Plastics, told Gretchen that she couldn’t wear hooped earrings because they were her thing. Later in the movie, when Cady becomes leader of the Plastics, we see her wearing hooped earrings, showing that she became just like Regina."
9. Finally, "In Mean Girls (2004), Regina forbade Gretchen to wear hoop earrings. Once they broke up, Gretchen is seen wearing hoop earrings."
Here's Gretchen's whole hoops moment.
10. "In The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005), Paul Rudd wears a shirt with his photo on it. The photo came from the day they shot their work badges. The costumer printed it on a shirt on a whim and left it with the rest of Rudd’s wardrobe. When he saw it, he chose to wear it in this scene."
11. "In I Am Legend (2007), in Dr. Robert Neville's house you can see multiple famous paintings hanging that he took from the Museum of Modern Art and other famous galleries in New York. In this scene while Ethan watches Shrek, you can see Vincent Van Gogh's 'Starry Night.'"
12. "The treasure chest from the end of Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (2004) is actually labeled Deus Ex Machina."
13. "In 13 Going on 30 (2004), Jenna's apartment is furnished to look identical to the '30, Flirty & Thriving' article she read when she was 13."
14. "In Hot Fuzz (2007), all the swear box words are censored, except for 'cunt.'"
16. "In A Cinderella Story (2004), the license plate says '2SAM,' which foreshadows Sam's father's will that is later found in the movie, giving her the rights to everything. At the end of the movie, Sam sells that car to help pay for college."
17. "In (500) Days Of Summer (2009), when asked who is going to sing karaoke next, Summer nominates Tom by saying, 'I nominate young Werther here!' This is a reference to the German poet Goethe's 'The Sorrows of Young Werther,' which is about a doomed romantic relationship."
18. "In Shaun of the Dead (2004), as Shaun goes to purchase a Diet Coke from Nelson (the convenient store owner who is now a zombie), he is short 15p. Nelson is later seen in the movie begging Shaun for the money."
19. "In Jennifer's Body (2009), the school is putting on a production of What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, which was the first example of the movie's 'psycho-biddy' genre."
20. "In Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004), the name of the Mexican restaurant the women go to eat at is 'Escupimos en su Alimento,' which translates in English to 'We spit on your food.'"
22. "In The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006), one of the fishers despairing at Sean’s early attempts at drifting is the real-life 'Drift King' Keiichi Tsuchiya. Tsuchiya helped popularize the art, as well as Touge driving, which also features heavily in the film."
23. "In the Superbad (2007) scene where they give Fogell the list to buy the alcohol, they tell him, 'Don’t fuck it up and get sambuca again.' In a brief scene earlier, Fogell can be seen holding a bottle of sambuca."
24. "Brilliant visual humor in Edgar Wright’s Hot Fuzz (2007)."
Here's the moment where Seth demands Fogell do better this time.
25. "In Little Miss Sunshine (2006), the shot of Dwayne realizing that he can’t be a pilot cruelly depicts the vast blue sky that he craves, yet he is grounded in agony."
27. "In Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story (2007), after Dewey marries Darlene while still married to Edith, he can be seen wearing both of his wedding rings."
28. "In The Pursuit of Happyness (2006), Will Smith walked past the real Chris Gardner, the man he played and the movie was based on."
29. "In Zombieland (2009), Tallahassee spends the entire movie looking for Twinkies. While screaming about Snowballs and a lack of Twinkies during the Hostess Truck scene, there are a stack of Twinkies behind the left door just out of his view."
30. "In 13 Going on 30 (2004), Jenna's party dress and sleep mask in the future are the same material as the blindfold she wears in the closet during her seven minutes in heaven in the past."
31. "In Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006), Ricky Bobby initially has a sponsorship from Wonder Bread. Later, when he's lost his sponsor, he reuses the 'W' and 'E' from 'Wonder' to spell 'Me.'"
32. "In Hot Fuzz (2007), the amateur performance of Romeo and Juliet is styled just like Baz Luhrmann’s 1996 film (the actors wear the same costumes, they use guns, etc.), showing how terrible the actors really are; they’re copying a film, not actually performing Shakespeare."
33. And, "Rewatched Mean Girls (2004) and noticed foreshadowing of 'Yellow School Bus.' At the start of the film, Cady almost gets hit by a bus as she’s going into the school; then later, when she meets Aaron, she says, 'This one hit me like a big yellow school bus,' foreshadowing the scene toward the end of movie."
Note: Quotes have been edited for length and/or clarity.