After Cheerios ran a commercial depicting an interracial family eating breakfast, a racist shitstorm erupted because…interracial families exist and eat breakfast? I’m not sure actually. But Cheerios had to disable the comments on the youtube page before it could get any worse. In response to this racist backlash, a husband-wife duo created the Tumblr We Are The 15 Percent. Simply put - it responds to the racist commenters - we exist.
3. The Tumblr is a crowd sourced collection of portraits of interracial families and interracial marriages.
From the Tumblr’s description:
We’ve created this site to publicly reflect the changing face of the American family. According to the 2008 census, 15% of new marriages are interracial. And yet, it still feels rare to see something like the Cheerios ad represented in mainstream culture.
- Donald Trump has named H.R. McMaster as his new national security adviser, replacing Michael Flynn who resigned last week.
- Famine in South Sudan has left 100,000 people facing starvation and nearly 8 million in need of immediate assistance, UN agencies say.
- Milo Yiannopoulos's book has been canceled after he was accused of defending pedophilia.
- A girl's best friend showed up to her date in a fake mustache to spy on her and it's the definition of friendship goals 😎