9. The way our country’s run is kind of ridiculous.
An MP is ‘held hostage’, the cellars of Parliament are searched for gun powder that isn’t there, the Queen makes a speech, and because of something Charles I did once we now pretend to not let some guy into Parliament for purely ceremonial reasons. This happens every year at the opening of the Houses of Parliament for no real reason whatsoever.
11. Our ability to create pointless celebrities is second only to the US.
We like exactly the same reality crap, there’s nothing particularly high-brow about the majority of British TV. Sherlock blah blah Downton Abbey blah quality programming blah. YES, I know, but change channel to ITV2 and you get an entirely different experience.
- Trump's pick for education secretary, Betsy DeVos, could face a contentious confirmation hearing — at least by standards of the position.
- Prime Minister Theresa May's Brexit: no single market, parliamentary vote on the final deal, and a warning to the EU not to punish the UK.
- At least 40 Democratic lawmakers are boycotting Donald Trump's inauguration after the president-elect criticized civil rights leader John Lewis.
- Most hate crimes go unreported. Help BuzzFeed News and other news outlets document hate crimes and harassment in the US.