1. It is widely accepted that you can pretty much find anything you might want on Craigslist, particularly in New York City (even a baby, upsettingly enough) — and that includes (exorbitantly priced!) tickets to fashion shows.
New York Fashion Week, though hordes of photographers and pageantry can suggest otherwise, is an industry event. That means tickets to runway shows go to industry people — buyers, stylists, editors, writers, bloggers, and everything in between. (And to celebrities). All these tickets are given out at no cost — and selling them on a secondary market isn’t too common.
2. As the fashion PR maven Alison Brod put it to The New York Daily News last year: “It is truly the one event that ticket brokers haven’t gotten to.”
I asked a few fashion bloggers and editors if, anecdotally, they’d ever heard of people selling tickets to fashion shows. None had.
3. But take a look on Craigslist, and plenty of tickets are for sale. For a whole lot of money!
5. One seller is offering tickets at $500 a pop, to the lesser-known Nolcha Fashion Week, which features designers you probably haven’t even heard of.
6. At the shows, seats are assigned, and there are a bunch of politics surrounding what row you’re in. Curiously, none of the Craigslist postings mention seating assignments.
In other words, you’d probably be spending a few hundred dollars to stand in the back row.
8. I emailed a bunch of the sellers to ask who they were, how they got their tickets, and how they came up with their prices.
9. But none responded.
- Republicans are working overnight trying to finalize a deal that'd allow their Obamacare replacement plan to pass in the House.
- Rep. Adam Schiff said there's "more than circumstantial evidence" that Trump's campaign colluded with Russia during the election.
- Four people died in what officials are calling a terror attack after a car drove into pedestrians near Parliament in London. A suspect was also killed by police.
- A 4-month-old golden retriever named after Joe Biden got to meet and even lick the former vice president at the Capitol today 🐶❤️