1. The voting system was hacked.
The voting for this year’s Miss Hong Kong was supposed to be American Idol-style, with viewers calling in and voting online for their favorite contestant. But the system crashed due to an exceptionally high volume of voters, which organizers say was orchestrated by hackers. The panel of judges, who were only supposed to choose the three finalists, were forced to pick a winner.
3. Contestants apparently got infections due to forced sharing of unsanitary makeup.
According to a Chinese report, during a recent press conference, two women in the pageant were suffering from cold sores, which they blamed on unsanitary makeup that they were required to share.
5. And of course, some pretty bold fashion offset all the drama.
- At least 41 people have died in a suicide bombing attack on Istanbul's international airport, Turkish officials said.
- Brexit fallout: Leaders of the remaining European Union states will call for the UK's withdrawal to happen in an "orderly fashion" and quickly.
- Ready for the U.S. presidential election in November? It's #TurnUpToVote week at BuzzFeed and you can register here 🇺🇸