1. The voting system was hacked.
The voting for this year’s Miss Hong Kong was supposed to be American Idol-style, with viewers calling in and voting online for their favorite contestant. But the system crashed due to an exceptionally high volume of voters, which organizers say was orchestrated by hackers. The panel of judges, who were only supposed to choose the three finalists, were forced to pick a winner.
3. Contestants apparently got infections due to forced sharing of unsanitary makeup.
According to a Chinese report, during a recent press conference, two women in the pageant were suffering from cold sores, which they blamed on unsanitary makeup that they were required to share.
5. And of course, some pretty bold fashion offset all the drama.
- Jury deadlocked in trial of Michael Slager, former South Carolina police officer charged with murder in fatal shooting of Walter Scott.
- The US Commission on Civil Rights will visit the campsite where people have protested the Dakota Access Pipeline for months.
- Donald Trump and his supporters have filed lawsuits to stop Jill Stein's vote recount in Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.
- Mall of America, the largest mall in the country, is hosting its first ever black Santa 🎅🏿