1. We smell some truly terrible things.
2. And we see some really gross things too.
4. You wouldn't believe the number of times people show up to a contact lens check wearing glasses.
5. And the way some people treat their lenses shocks us.
6. The whole "one or two" thing gets old very quickly.
7. And is there something complicated about the phrase "Please read the bottom line on the chart?"
8. Also, why is it so hard for you to move your eyes without moving your head? It's pretty vexing.
9. But nothing's more annoying than this:
10. We can't help staring at people with eye problems.
11. There are truly scary moments when we diagnose a life- and/or sight-threatening situation.
12. People just can't seem to get their heads around the fact that opticians and optometrists are different.
13. The yellow stuff we put in your eyes makes us look like permanent nicotine addicts.
14. Parents are harder to deal with than their kids.
15. Also, some kids get really upset when they find out they have to wear glasses.
16. We want to hear about your eyes, not your life story.
17. Also, people never seem to plan ahead.
18. And sorry, but please don't run to us complaining that the cheap glasses you ordered online don't fit correctly.
19. We often uncover some worrying findings about our older patients — like the fact that they can barely see.
20. Giving bad news to someone is never, ever easy.
21. And yes, people do try to cheat on their eye exams.
22. But at the end of the day, all of these niggles pale in comparison to the fact we love helping people.
This post was put together with the help of an optometrist with ten years' experience from Edinburgh, Scotland, UK. Please note, many of these conditions are extremely rare, but it's best to be on the safe side and get regular checks.