Thousands of LGBT individuals have come to the U.S. to escape discrimination and violence in their countries. Some apply for refugee status or asylum because they do not feel they can be safe at home.
We asked a few of them to share their reasons for coming to America and what the experience was like.
2. This is what they had to say.
3. They all miss home, but they feel a sense of freedom that was unimaginable before.
- UK voters sent a massive shock through the world, overturning 40 years of British EU membership.
- Prime Minister David Cameron says he will resign by October.
- British banks got hit hard, and their European peers were hit even harder.
- Scottish leader Nicola Sturgeon says a second independence referendum for Scotland is "highly likely."