45 Practical Things For The Homeowner Who Likes To Feel Prepared
Cleaning products, furniture, and a Mickey-shaped K-cup holder you'll likely be glad you invested in.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A vintage-inspired storage ottoman you can use to stow away things like throw blankets, shoes, books — whatever your heart desires! All that matters is that your home is about to look a lot more organized.
BuzzFeed editor Emma Lord has and looooves this ottoman:
"If you flip the lid over, it has a wooden base, so you can *also* use this as a teensy snack table. I recently got one of these for my new apartment to stash my candles and ~candle accessories~ in and it's pretty much become my favorite piece of furniture?? I use it to prop up my feet during work hours and sometimes if I want to eat on my couch I'll use it as a tray. It's also sturdy enough to sit on, if I ever wanted to have guests over and needed an extra chair. It was RIDICULOUSLY easy to set up — I had it done in less than ten minutes, and probably didn't even need the directions. It also just looks so darn cute (and comes in so many colors that I'm tempted to buy another!)."
Promising review: "I was using a small foldable step stool in my bedroom to reach the top shelves of my wardrobe. But you know, those things aren’t pretty. It wasn’t be bringing me joy, just begrudging utility. This ottoman brings me joy. It’s pretty, it’s lightweight so I can move it easily to use it as a step stool, and the storage capacity is perfect for things like my nightly moisturizers, my kindle and journals, and other little miscellaneous things." —Monica N.
Get it from Amazon for $59.99 (available in nine colors).
2. A bamboo burner cover that'll magically add an extra space for chopping up veggies in your kitchen — it'll feel like you *poof* doubled your counter space!
BuzzFeed writer Jennifer Tonti credits this burner cover for helping her cook with ease:
"OK so I just bought this for my own tiny apartment (pictured above) and OMG you guys. Life = changed. Food = chopped. Counter space = doubled. I mean the math is all there."
Promising review: "This is so perfect for extra space. It covers the top of my apartment-sized stove so I can then use my stove space for my Instant Pot and food prep. The best space-saving and cosmetic thing I have ever gotten for this tiny apartment." —Talyn Amber Skye
Get it from Amazon for $27.95+ (available in four styles).
3. A 3D-printed key holder/envelope keeper so you'll always know whether you've sent your mom's birthday card out or not and ideally won't spend hours searching your house for your car keys. We love a two-for-one product!
Crossover Designs is a Florida-based small business that was established in 2018 and specializes in 3D-printed home products.
Each of these fits a standard double gang (toggle/rocker) light switch cover, and can be installed easily without drilling, nails, or glue.
Promising review: "Love it! Simple, sleek, space-saving, smart... who knew I’d be so stoked for a switch plate cover! Not to mention the customer service was very personal and attentive." —Kelsey Johnson
4. A trio of Bar Keeper's Friend products you can count on to help you clean any and every surface of your new living space — trust me on this.
My husband and I recently moved into our first — when I tell you I have used some form of Bar Keeper's Friend to tackle every crevice of this house please know that I'm not exaggerating. I've used it to revive the floor of our bathroom (see above), the shower, the tub, the entire kitchen sink, the outside of the washing machine and dryer....the list goes on. It's incredible how effective this product is in just a few moments!
Promising review: "This stuff is magic. It took a stain out of my sink with ease. It also made my stainless steel appliances look brand new! I also have a gas stove that had baked crap on it that I couldn’t get off. I tried every trick in the book. I used this stuff with a little elbow grease and it finally came off. We are listing our house and this product is essential." —Katie
Get it from Amazon for $26.99.
5. A zippered sleeve to keep all of those pesky wires and plugs under control and out of your way so when you finally get around to hanging your fabulous new TV on the wall it won't look like a hot mess.
6. A garbage guard you can use to keep pesky flies and other insects from congregating around your can.
7. A side table that'll pop up to reveal it's *gasp* actually a cooler! All you have to do is fill the base with ice and your favorite drinks to transform your outdoor space into a resort.
8. An 8-in-1 kitchen gadget tool complete with a funnel, a juicer, a grater, an egg cracker, a shredder, a can opener, an egg separator, and a measuring cup. You'll never be without a must-have tool again!
9. A Clorox ToiletWand you can use then toss away — say SEE YA' to that gross toilet brush hiding in the corner of your bathroom.
10. A garbage-disposal foaming cleaner to scrub away the stinky grime that builds up on the blades and in the pipes.
11. A solar-powered, motion sensor-activated lights so you can sing "and at last I see the light," like Rapunzel in Tangled each time you step into your yard.
12. Solar-powered LED garden lights you'll love because it can change colors and create the illusion of rising bubbles to make your yard feel like an escape to a more magical world.
YoungBlossomPlace is a small business based in Irvine, California that sells an array of lights and home goods.
Promising review: "I actually got these for my visually-impaired daughter, and they work wonderfully! Beautiful, bright, and entertaining! Best part is that they are solar-powered, so there's no need to buy a ton of batteries!" —Michelle MacIntosh
13. A remote organizer perfect for keeping your various remotes, clickers, channel changers (whatever you call it in your house) in check while looking chic.
Promising review: "It's light but sturdy. The color is perfect and it's bigger than I expected. It holds my four remotes and still have room to put my phone so it's not just on the nightstand. Love that it looks modern and keeps the nightstand nice and organized. I recommend this product." —Liudelis Compagines
Get it from Amazon for $10.99.
14. A double extension cord so you can run an endless amount of power throughout your home without trying to track down another outlet.
15. An ultra thin electrical cover so you can finally enjoy full access to the outlet behind your dresser — plug this bad boy in and *poof* you'll have not one, not two, but SIX new outlets at your disposal.
Promising review: "The design of this is great. I always hated putting plugs behind furniture and either not using the plug, or the furniture being inches away from the wall. This is the perfect solution. I have a few of these now behind couches and dressers in the house and they are great. This is more expensive than some other flat extension cords but I think the look and quality of these is worth it." —Adam C.
Get it from Amazon for $24.95+ (available in five styles).
16. A rechargeable lighter to light every candle in your house to create the *perfect* ambience without concern you'll run out of lighter fluid.
17. A NordVPN security system that'll protect your data and privacy by encrypting your internet connection, so you can watch *all* the cat videos you want without being exposed.
18. A red wine stain remover, so you'll forever be prepared when you inevitably spill vino all over your favorite white shirt when something shocking happens on The Real Housewives.
19. A Honeywell Home Thermostat for anyone who likes to think they're actually a meteorologist or likes to plan their hairstyle around what the humidity might be.
20. A pet stain and odor remover, so when your furry friend gets a little too excited that you just got home and decides to pee all over your shoes, it's sort of OK.
21. A hybrid mattress to basically provide you with *two* mattresses instead of one — with a single flip you can go from an extra firm feel to a softer one without splurging on a new bed.
22. Rubbermaid's power scrubbing brush, for when you want to give your grout an all-inclusive spa treatment and bring it back to its squeaky-clean glory.
23. A Mickey K-Cup holder that'll make you feel like you're enjoying breakfast with Chef Mickey and his pals every time you make your morning coffee and easily alert you when you're running low on your K-Cup stash.
PKDecor is a small business based out of Oakwood, Georgia that sells primarily metal yard decor.
Promising review: "The best finishing touch to my Disney kitchen. I absolutely love it. Material is great and it’s the perfect size. Also it shipped and got here immediately! Thank you!!!" —yaddyliese
24. A table lamp with a speaker as the base to wow all of your guests the next time you have a dinner party. They'll all be wondering "where is the music coming from?"
25. A hard water stain-remover because you shouldn't want to shudder each time you reach to turn on your shower.
26. And an all-natural tile and tub cleaner you can count on to effectively remove mold, mildew, and rust — just think of *how* satisfying your "before" and "after" photos will be.
27. An electric standing desk that'll quickly become your favorite product if you've shifted to mostly working from home.
28. An 8-piece screwdriver set you'll be happy to have have on-hand (literally) when you encounter all kinds of unpredictable homeowner problems — trust me.
29. A pack of oven liners to protect the bottom of your oven from any overflow/oozing and let you continue on pretending you're competing on The Great British Baking Show worry-free.
30. A natural oven scrub cleaner you can rely on to remove any grease or leftover sauces from inside your most-used appliance. You're welcome.
This comes with the jar of oven scrub as well as a professional-grade metallic scrubber. You can use this to clean your enamel oven, racks, the oven door's interior glass panel. Cleaning Studio is a small business based in Fairfield, Connecticut that sells 100% natural cleaning products and microfiber cloths.
Promising review: "I am in absolute shock over how well this works. I really wish I took a before picture. WOW! My oven door window had grime on it for years that i couldn't get off from the previous owners so I'm estimating it's been like that for 4+ years. Nothing helped to cut through it and finally this oven cleaner made it look brand new. Still in shock!! Would highly recommend. Also, the smell of the product is sooo delightful." —Vanessa
31. A rustic wooden stand that'll hold your cookbook or tablet so you'll be able to follow along with any recipe hands-free.
32. Blackout curtains to ensure not a single ounce of sunlight gets into your room before your alarm goes off.
33. A SinkShroom strainer you won't know how you lived without because it'll keep your kitchen sink unclogged no matter how much gunk you fill it with.
34. A sofa arm table that'll be your saving grace if you have a relative who is forever complaining the coffee table is *waaaaay* too far from the couch.
35. A Le Creuset Cast Iron Dutch Oven you can pass down to your children — truly worth the investment, especially if you've been looking to kick things up a notch in the kitchen.
36. A Google Nest Mini you'll love because you can use it to listen to music (kitchen dance party!?), adjust the lights in your home, pause your TV, and ask silly questions.
37. A stainless-steel cleaner you can count on to make your appliances so shiny you won't be able to stop staring at your own reflection in them (spoiler: you look GOOD!).
38. Reusable towels to replace all of the paper towels in your life — who has room to store a bulk set of them these days, anyway? They'll also give you an extra thing to brag about when your parents come over to eat and see you wiping down pots and pans with this eco-friendly option instead of a one-and-done item.
Wild Minimalist is a family-owned small business based out of San Rafael, CA that sells low-waste home goods/cleaning products. Added bonus? They also feature plastic-free packaging! Each of these "unpaper" towels are made from 100% cotton and can be tossed into your washing machine. They get even more absorbent after four to five wash cycles!
Get a set of 12 from Wild Minimalist for $35.99 (available in three color styles).
39. A set of produce-saving containers that'll prevent your fruits 'n' veggies from spoiling quickly and *therefore* prevent *you* from wasting produce! Win-win.
40. A standing weeder (without the chemicals!) for anyone with a bad back who still wants an award-worthy lawn.
41. A handheld knife sharpener you can use to bring your most-used kitchen utensils back to life in a flash without destroying your countertop or cutting boards. Bobby Flay would be proud.
42. An outdoor heater you might as well splurge on now so you can continue your backyard fun through the entire year.
43. A BBQ tool that'll act as a spatula, tongs, and brush all in one! No more fumbling around for the right grill gadget while your burgers are ready to be flipped.
44. Dishwasher detergent pods featuring a lemon scent so you'll actually be delighted when you open the door after a rinse cycle — no one enjoys inhaling that hot, soapy air do they? This will also leave your glasses sparkling and your plates free from caked-on food debris.
Dropps is a small business based out of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania that creates cleaning products made of natural ingredients.
Get 64 pods from Dropps for $25+ (also available in packs of 120 and 180 and unscented).