A while back, we asked the BuzzFeed Community to tell us the saddest TV scenes — here are the best from sitcoms and comedies.
WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD!
Also, some submissions contain mentions of suicide.
1. On Friends, when Phoebe said goodbye to the triplets she'd carried:
2. On The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, when Will asked why his father didn't want him:
3. On The Big Bang Theory, when Howard's mom died after the actor died in real life:
4. On 8 Simple Rules, when Paul died after John Ritter died in real life:
5. On Archie Bunker's Place, when Edith died and Archie came home and talked to her slipper:
6. On Futurama, when it's revealed Fry's dog waited for him on the corner until he died:
7. On Golden Girls, when Blanche reunited with her husband but then woke up and remembered he was dead:
8. On Superstore, when Jonah decided not to go to California with Amy after she said she didn't want to marry him:
9. On Brooklyn Nine-Nine, when Rosa responded to an active shooter call and the precinct found out:
10. On Scrubs, when it was revealed that Ben was dead after Dr. Cox had been talking to him for the whole episode, and they were at his funeral:
11. On M*A*S*H, when Radar told everyone Henry Blake's plane was shot down when he was on his way home:
12. On Full House, when Jessie moved out and said goodbye to Michelle, and she gave him her pig:
13. On The Big Bang Theory, when Sheldon and Amy broke up:
14. On M*A*S*H, when Hawkeye remembers that the woman he told to keep her chicken quiet actually was holding a baby, and that she killed her baby to protect them:
15. On Scrubs, when Dr. Cox lost three organ transplant patients in a row after pushing for them:
16. On Modern Family, when Phil spent one last day with his dad before he died:
17. On Superstore, when ICE took Mateo away:
18. On Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, when Rebecca attempted suicide on the plane:
19. On Scrubs, when Turk and JD skipped their fancy dinner to stay with a patient who was dying:
20. On Parks and Recreation, when Leslie stood up Ron for lunch:
21. On Freaks and Geeks, when Nick and Lindsay both pretended to have completely moved on:
22. On King Of Queens, when Carrie revealed she'd miscarried:
23. On It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, when Mac came out to his dad through a dance:
24. On Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist, when Zoey and her father shared one last dance:
25. On Futurama, when Fry found out it was his nephew, not his brother, who went to space, and that his brother named his son after Fry:
26. On Kim's Convenience, when Jung visited his dad in the hospital:
27. On How I Met Your Mother, when Lily told Marshall his dad was dead:
28. On Scrubs, when Carla said goodbye to Laverne:
29. On Golden Girls, when Sophia finally broke down over the death of her son:
30. On Black-ish, when Dre and Bow decided to separate and take space:
31. On Trailer Park Boys, when Julian left and Bubbles found his letter and started crying:
32. On Please Like Me, when Rose killed herself:
33. And finally, on One Day at a Time, when Penelope sang to Lydia:
Did we miss any? Let us know in the comments!
Submissions have been edited for length/clarity.