People Still Can't Believe Teen Dramas Got Away With These 22 Inexcusably Problematic Plotlines
There's a difference between presenting something as problematic and sensationalizing or glossing over it.
1. When Annie hit and killed a homeless man on 90210 while drunken driving and had very few repercussions.
2. When Tyler was graphically assaulted on 13 Reasons Why.
3. When Aria married her TEACHER on Pretty Little Liars.
4. When Chuck traded Blair for a hotel on Gossip Girl, and they still ended up together.
5. And every time Chuck attempted to sexually assault his classmates on Gossip Girl.
6. When Pacey slept with his teacher on Dawson’s Creek.
7. When Betty did a strip tease to get into the Serpents on Riverdale.
8. When Lizzie made this offensive joke about eating disorders in Season 1 of Legacies.
9. When Will suspended Marley for refusing to dress in a revealing, provocative outfit on stage in Glee.
10. In The O.C. when Marissa’s mom slept with her daughter's ex-boyfriend when he was literally a junior in high school.
11. When Polo watched Carla and Christian have sex on Elite.
12. In 13 Reasons Why, when they had a graphic suicide scene and multiple scenes depicting sexual assault.
13. When Ryder told the class that his babysitter sexually abused him and Sam and Artie acted like it was the coolest thing they'd ever heard on Glee.
14. On Gossip Girl, when Lily found a sex tape of an underage Serena and threatened to send her to reform school rather than checking in on her daughter.
15. When Elite glossed over Nadia's racist remarks toward Lu and made them friends.
16. In Glee, when Will planted drugs in Finn’s locker so he would join the glee club.
17. When Jo and Alaric's twins were transferred to Caroline's womb and it was automatically assumed she'd keep and deliver the babies on The Vampire Diaries.
18. When Sikowitz invited his students to SLEEP OVER at his house for an assignment on Victorious??
19. When Dan and Serena got married on Gossip Girl after Dan basically stalked her (oh, and they also had a sibling together).
20. When Kelly had multiple relationships with adults as a minor on Saved by the Bell.
21. When Nate dated 16-year-old Sage, Dan dated his teacher, Nate had an affair with an older woman as a minor, and Chuck slept with an underage Jenny on Gossip Girl.
22. And finally, when Lexie was forced to change in front of Jason and Clark, and Allie told her to get over it on The Society.
Submissions have been edited for length and/or clarity.