21 Behind-The-Scenes Tidbits About "Friends" That Just Make Rewatching The Show For The Millionth Time That Much Better
Could these BE any more interesting?
1. In one of the episodes, Chandler was supposed to say "Donald Trump wants his blue blazer back" to mock Joey. However, Matthew Perry accidentally said "Donald Trump wants his blue blazer black," and they decided to keep it in.
3. Chandler and Joey's dog statue actually belonged to Jennifer Aniston. She was gifted it when she got the role of Rachel.
4. The cast of Friends went to Caesar's Palace just before the show began airing as their last chance at anonymity. This is the same casino the characters visit in Season 5.
5. When Rachel undresses and sits in her lingerie on the couch waiting for Josh, and then his parents come in, Josh's dad is actually played by Matthew Perry's real-life father:
8. The scene where Phoebe sings along to Ross playing the bagpipes while the other characters try to hold in their laughter is actually a blooper that made it into the episode.
10. The theme song was originally supposed to be "Shiny Happy People" by REM. They ended up going with "I'll Be There for You" by the Rembrandts, who only wrote a little snippet of it for the show — but it got so popular that they later recorded a whole version.
12. In the episode where Ross and Ben prank Rachel by throwing a dummy of Ross down the stairs, Jennifer Aniston's reaction was genuine.
17. Jennifer Aniston was already starring on the CBS show Muddling Through, so NBC actively tried to tank the show.
20. Matt LeBlanc injured his arm in 'The One Where No One's Ready,' which is why Joey's arm is in a sling in the next episode.
21. And finally, despite 9/11 happening as the show was airing, Friends didn't incorporate it into the storyline. Instead, they honored New York and its firemen in the background of many shots, as seen below.
What's your favorite behind-the-scenes Friends fact? Let us know in the comments!
Note: Submissions have been edited for length/clarity.