Doctors Are Sharing The One Medical Fact They Wish Everyone Knew, And All Should Be Required Reading
"Do not keep your medicine in your 'medicine cabinet' in your bathroom."
1. "Vaccines are safe and save lives."
2. "Priority is given to patients according to their state at the time. Be a patient patient. It's not a simple 'first come, first served' system."
3. "If you're admitted to the hospital, don't lie about how much you drink."
4. "Your immune system is one of the greatest assets you have, and you never thank it."
"In your life, your body will autonomously eradicate between 6 and 10 cancers without you even realizing. It will fight your infections, repair micro-traumas, and police the entire population of billions of cells in your body without your asking. All it requests in return is a little bit of health to preserve it. Stop smoking, maintain a healthy weight. Maybe exercise a little. Don't drink so much. Your diet is so much more important that you realize."
5. "Keep an eye on your weight. Rapid unintentional weight loss is often a sign something serious is up."
6. "Most important rule: Know your own history and drugs. Our electronic medical records are too inefficient to depend on, especially if you've been to many different institutions."
7. "If your kid has a fever and you give them acetaminophen or ibuprofen to bring it down, they are STILL. SICK. You're only treating symptoms temporarily, not curing anything."
8. "It's significantly more effective to prevent cancer than it is to treat it."
"Don't smoke. Wear sunscreen. Don't drink excessively. Get a bit of exercise and eat some goddamn vegetables. Those habits reduce your risk of getting cancer."
9. "Do not keep medicine in the 'medicine cabinet' in your bathroom. The steam from a shower and the temperature fluctuations will degrade your medication."
11. "Smoking will kill you."
12. "Mental illness can be as serious as a physical one. Get treated. You wouldn't ignore a broken leg."
13. "No matter how bad it is, we have seen worse. Don't be ashamed."
14. "Get that new mole checked, especially if it is painful or bleeds spontaneously."
15. "Dentist here: Just because a toothache goes away doesn't mean it's all better."
16. "If exercise were a pill, it would be the most prescribed drug in existence."
17. "Clinical psychologist here. If you need mental health treatment, try your local college campuses."
"Oftentimes, there are training clinics supervised by some of the best clinicians around. Most will provide a generous sliding fee scale. Treatment works...especially for sleep problems, depression, anxiety, PTSD, etc."
18. "If you're sexually active, go for STI testing once or twice a year. HIV can take up to six months to show, and it's possible to have an STI with no symptoms."
20. "Medical fact: Emergency means potential loss of life, limb, or eyesight. It does NOT mean inconvenience, irritation, or chronic condition."
22. "The pregnancy test you get in the ER is no different from the one at the store, and they're just as accurate."
23. "Don't stop your medications by yourself. Just don't, no matter how good you feel. Don't stop any drug unless cleared beforehand with your doctor."
24. "I work in a burn unit. Don't put accelerants on bonfires. Even if it 'just won't light.'"
25. "Doctors are there to help you; stop lying to them. They have to protect your privacy."
"If you're doing drugs, tell them. They have to keep it secret, and it could kill you if you don't."
26. "Carry an up-to-date list of medications in your wallet, or take a picture of your various pill bottles at home and keep it on your phone."
Note: Some responses have been edited for length and/or clarity.