17 Facts You'll Wish You Never Learned
Ignorance is bliss.
1. There are tiny little skin mites that come out at night to have sex on your face.
3. One billion years from now, the sun's expansion into a red giant will have boiled all the oceans dry and destroyed all life on earth. In 7.5 billion years' time, the sun will have engulfed the Earth itself.
4. If an asteroid between one and 10 kilometers in size hit the Earth, it would cause mass extinctions. There are 15 comets of this size whose orbits cross paths with the Earth's orbit.
5. There are tiny little creatures called threadworms (or pinworms) that infect about 20% of children and crawl out of their buttholes at night.
8. Regulators allow for certain amounts of something called "insect filth" in the food that we eat. But don't worry, the FDA will step in just as soon as it finds more than 90 insect fragments in a 100 gram sample of chocolate.
9. The Surinam toad stores fertilised eggs in her back. When they're ready to be born, they burst out of her back as fully-formed froglets.
10. A single field slug can, in theory, have 90,000 grandchildren and 27,000,000 great grandchildren – if they were all to survive.
15. The universe will expand forever, at an ever-increasing rate, and "will slowly cool as it expands until eventually it is unable to sustain any life".
17. The mathematical odds of finding your "soulmate" are pretty grim. As the webcomic XKCD has calculated, you would only meet your soulmate once every 10,000 lifetimes.
That's enough for today.