18 Unusual Fun Facts You Didn't Know You Needed To Know
1. "The scent of fresh-cut grass is really the grass screaming in pain. The smell is a distress signal that tells insects not to eat the grass so it can heal its wounds."
5. "Count von Count on Sesame Street is obsessed with counting because traditional folklore states that if you scatter a large number of small objects in a vampire's path (think coins, seeds, grains, that sort of thing), they are compelled to stop and count them all."
6. "Gargoyles were invented because many ancient Europeans were illiterate and they needed a physical representation of hell to scare them into going to church."
16. "Every minute, we lose about 30,000 to 40,000 dead skin cells. That's about nine pounds of skin cells a year. You probably just lost 40,000 skin cells in the time it took you to read this."
17. "Hippos can’t swim. They almost always maintain contact with the bottom or they bounce off the bottom as they move through the water."
18. And: "Apple trees need to be grafted in order to grow into a specific type, so if you plant an apple seed, you may not know what kind of apple tree you are growing."
Note: Submissions have been edited for length and clarity.