We recently asked members of the BuzzFeed Community to share mental health self-care tips for people who are having a tough week. Here's what they said:
1. Feel your feelings – being sad or angry is understandable, so don't brush over those emotions or feel guilty for having them.
2. Connect with other black people – be it in person, over Facetime, or online.
3. And if you don't feel comfortable venting to a person, write your unfiltered feelings in a journal.
4. Don't be afraid to set firm boundaries with those around you.
5. Although it's important to stay informed, be conscious about your social media use. Remember that you can choose what you see on your timelines, and how much you can look.
6. Write, draw, sing, dance – set your creativity loose!
7. If you can, spend some time in nature.
8. Do something nostalgic – something as simple as binge-watching an old favourite show will be familiar and comforting.
9. Get into a routine, it'll create a sense of calm in your day.
10. And make sure you're still having "me" time.
11. Indulge in your favourite black music, films, and art.
12. Make sure you're still meeting your basic needs.
13. Create a mental health checklist.
Some responses have been edited for clarity/length.