16 Little Things That Always Happen In Real Life, But You Barely See On TV
Why do characters never have to search for a parking space?!
1. In real life, you've probably come across hundreds of Sams, Toms, and Bens, but in TV land, characters never share names.
2. Unlike dinners in real life, fictional meals tend to look professionally made. Why is no one on TV eating beans on toast?!
3. Millennial parents will tell you that finding a babysitter is nothing short of an extreme sport, but in TV land, everyone's up for lending a hand with the kids.
4. But they never really show parents questioning whether they should leave their infant with a random 12-year-old from the neighbourhood, which is something I imagine real parents would do.
5. I don't know about you, but jeans and other uncomfortable clothes have no place in the house, yet the only time our fictional faves seem to wear sweatpants is when they're sick.
6. And god forbid a character ever repeat an outfit.
7. Having a friend who lives annoyingly far away is something our TV counterparts have never had the misery of experiencing.
8. Unless you want to put on a show for your neighbours, drawing your curtains is essential, but in the fictional realm this is only ever really done for dramatic effect.
9. If you get them, periods aren't the kind of thing that you can just forget about, but in pretty much every post-apocalyptic world they seem to just vanish?
10. Peeing after sex is pretty much essential, but fictional characters never seem prone to UTIs.
11. In the real world, if you skip a meeting to just hang out with a friend, you lose your job. In TV world, that's just a regular Tuesday.
12. Bruises, cuts, and bumps are just part of everyday life, but when it comes to TV, everyone's flawless. Unless of course there's some kind of injury plot point.
13. And have you ever seen a TV character get hiccups?!
14. We all know what it's like to have your house get a bit messy, but our television counterparts always have their places totally spotless, without ever trying.
15. Okay, so this would make for pretty mundane watching, but a huge part of having a car is spending agesss looking for a parking spot – something you never see on screen.
16. And finally, real kids with a bit too much sass never get away with half as much as their fictional peers do.
Some submissions have been edited for length and/or clarity.