We recently asked the BuzzFeed Community what tips they had for being kinder to the planet. Here are some of the most useful responses!
🌍Of course, it goes without saying that holding corporations accountable is a vital part of fighting climate change, but there are simple, everyday changes that can be powerful when it comes to producing less waste, improving our communities, and saving money. 🌍
1. If you're buying clothes, try looking in second-hand shops first.
2. Upcycle your old clothes as a way of refreshing your wardrobe.
3. Put a recycling bin in your bathroom.
4. Turn off the water while brushing your teeth.
5. Instead of using disposable makeup removal wipes, switch to a reusable cloth to clean your face.
6. Use bars of soap and solid shampoo instead of liquids in bottles.
7. If it's safe where you live: drink tap water!
8. And if you're fussy about the taste of tap water, invest in a reusable filter.
9. When ordering multiple items online, check if there's an option to have them packaged together.
10. Instead of buying physical copies of books and magazines, download them instead.
11. If you have periods, you could switch from using tampons to a menstrual cup.
12. But if you're really not into cup life, why not give menstrual underwear a go?
13. If you have a little one, try using cloth baby wipes and washable nappies.
14. And of course, for the foreseeable future at least – reusable face masks!!!
15. If you shave, try switching to a safety razor with reusable blades.
16. Use old socks and clothes you can't donate as cleaning rags.
17. Swap single-use products like paper napkins to washable cotton ones
18. When ordering takeaway, request that the meal doesn't come with plastic utensils or paper napkins.
19. And if you're into cooking, keep a small herb garden in your kitchen.
20. Try and avoid overwashing and tumble drying clothes to prolong their life.
21. Switch to eating one vegetarian or vegan meal a day or week.
22. Where you can, buy fresh produce from your local markets or greengrocer.
23. Be a mindful shopper.
24. And finally, get out into nature as much as you're able to.
Some responses have been edited for length and/or clarity.