People Are Sharing The Most Bizarre Facts About Australia They Know And Even I, An Australian, Am Shocked
Still can't believe we named a pool after a Prime Minister who was lost in the ocean.
Australia is a land of wacky people, animals and facts — which are often misconstrued by people outside of our borders.
2. "Do facts about kangaroos count? 'Cause I know their balls are above their dicks."
3. "And they [kangaroos] can't walk backwards. Which is why they are on the national seal. With emus. Who also can't walk backwards."
4. "They lost a fucking Prime Minister. Seriously, the guy walked into the ocean and they never saw him again. How'd they honour him? By naming a SWIMMING POOL after him."
5. "That Perth is the most isolated city in the world, i.e. the city furthest away from another city."
7. "All of the major cities are on the coast of Australia because the middle is too fucking hot to live in."
8. "They have a big-ass container with packages that were meant to be delivered to Austria. Apparently, we have a far bigger one in Vienna for packages that were meant to go to Australia."
"There are times when I've gotten a package with a weird stamp on it that said 'rerouted from Australia'..."
11. "Australian cities have insanely good coffee all over the place. I think I heard it's because coffee wasn't really a thing there until it was a gourmet thing."
"Coffee has been good here for a long, long time because of the influx of European coffee culture with the European migrants."
15. "Dollarydoos is your official currency."*
*Disclaimer — this one sadly isn't true.
17. "82% of all tourist deaths are caused by drop bears."
"That the hinterlands of Australia are populated by deadly drop bears, who are by far the most terrifying genetic relatives to koalas to exist. They apparently have hardened pads on their butts that they use to stun their prey when they drop out of trees, and then they proceed to eat the stunned animal (or human). Also, apparently there's a dedicated conspiracy to trying to convince others that they aren't real. Australians are odd."
21. And finally, "Australia is a vast desert wasteland from which hope can neither enter nor escape."
Note: Responses have been edited for length and/or clarity.