1. Always apply eye primer to your lid before any shadow, to keep everything in place.
2. Apply mascara before you apply any eyeshadow.
3. If you're scared of eyeshadow, create a subtle smokey effect using eyeliner.
4. If you're more of a shadow fan, choose a palette with at least two shades of the same colour.
5. Always start by applying the lighter shade to your entire eyelid, blending the colour down along the outer edge of your lower lash line.
6. Next, apply the darker colour to the outer edges of your eyelid, blending into the crease of your eye socket.
7. Finish your shadow work with a small sweep of highlighter in the inner corners of your eyes.
8. Use a cotton tip dipped in make-up remover to neaten up any crazy smudges or wonky lines.
9. Always apply your concealer AFTER your eyeshadow.
10. If you're fair - or just love some yourself some glitz - try a metallic smokey eye.
11. If you're keen to try a coloured smokey look, take your eye colour into consideration.
This post was created by a member of BuzzFeed Community, where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!