1. Plankton shouldn’t exist.
The competitive exclusion principle makes “the plankton paradox” very real – the little dudes should have killed each other off and created a superplankton race by now. Instead they’re just coexisting in tininess without a care in the world.
8. Coughing and sneezing is SERIOUS BUSINESS and should not be taken lightly.
A virus or bacteria that causes its host to develop coughing and sneezing symptoms has a great survival advantage – it is much more likely to be ejected from one host and carried to another. So yes, freak out when your friend sneezes. Run away!
9. Land plants evolved from a single type of algae.
The tremendous diversity we see in land plants today, from mosses to redwoods and orchids, all descended from a single common ancestor that colonized land more than 400 million years ago. So that’s kind of awesome.
11. Helianthus anomalus is a naturally occurring hybrid species of sunflower.
And in a lab, when H. annus and H. petiolaris are crossed, a similar hybrid results but has only 5% fertility. After several generations fertility in the hybrids increased and the genetic composition of the hybrids in the lab resembled that of wildly occurring H. anomalus! (Try to hold back your nerdy exclamations – people can hear you.)
12. Post-synaptic firing occurs when enough energy volleys in from a pre-synaptic cell.
Imagine trying to lift a 250kg motorcycle into the bed of a truck. If you get 5 of your friends to help you, you are essentially mimicking spatial summation and the combined efforts of everyone are able to overcome the energy of activation to get the bike into the truck. Science in real life, guys.
Next time you’re agonizing over a biology midterm, remember: you love this stuff. And don’t worry, you can get affordable study tools that will keep you sane enough to keep that bio love going.
- Trump may have initially blamed Democrats for Friday's failed health care bill, but it took only 2 days for him to start blaming Republicans, too.
- United Airlines stopped 3 girls from flying because they were wearing leggings. The rule applies to travelers on "company benefit travel."
- South Korean prosecutors have reportedly asked a judge to issue an arrest warrant for former President Park Geun-hye.
- "Orange Is The New Black" actor Samira Wiley and writer Lauren Morelli officially tied the knot in Palm Springs 🌴