9. University of Pennsylvania: Throwing Toast
UPenn fans toss toast onto their football field during during the third quarter. They used to take an alcoholic toast, but Prohibition had to go and ruin the fun as usual. Inspired by the Rocky Horror picture show, students tossed bread instead.
8. Stanford University: Full Moon on the Quad
This started as a cute way to welcome freshmen to campus – senior guys would line up and give freshman girls a kiss on the cheek and a rose. Now, it’s much more inclusive. Everyone kisses everyone! They offer mouthwash, which is nice.
7. University of Virginia: Streaking the Lawn
There are many disputed and discontinued collegiate naked running traditions (see Tufts, UNC, University of Michigan), but none of them boast a mid-run kiss on the behind of a statue of Homer. That is, except for UVA’s naked run – the true Odyssey, if you will.
4. Carleton College: Primal Scream
The night before finals, students all take a moment to “let out a collective unearthly wail of anguish and despair.” If that doesn’t perfectly describe finals, nothing does.
(Though you’ll feel less despair if you use Boundless online textbooks and study tools.)
3. California Institute of Technology: Ditch Day
It started simply – Caltech seniors all just took a day off. But the underclassmen started to prank senior rooms while they were gone, so seniors took some security measures; they made complicated puzzles that kept the underclassmen too busy to prank them.
2. Cornell University: Dragon Day
First-year architecture students build a giant dragon and parade it to the Arts Quad, where it is ceremoniously eaten by fire. Engineering students heckle the architecture students, because there’s a rivalry between them … okay, Cornell.
Does your school have an awesome tradition? Share it in the comments!
- Donald Trump on Sunday said that his comments about a problem in Sweden were not about an event, but about a Fox News report 🇸🇪🙃
- The CEO of Uber is investigating sexism and sexual harassment claims after a former employee said her reports were ignored.
- Geologists says they've discovered an 8th continent beneath New Zealand. "Zealandia" is 94% submerged underwater 🔎🌍
- One man scammed his way through New York Fashion week by dressing up as Sisqó — and people really believed him 😩