38 Surprisingly Easy And Affordable Ways To Upgrade The Rooms Around Your House
From cabinet-painting kits to peel-and-stick tiles, these home improvement goods will give your living space the ultimate update.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. Cover a boring light switch with a cool vintage-inspired plate. A satin nickel finish and a beaded design will elevate that bare wall next to your kitchen sink or fridge.
2. Restore dull wood surfaces back to their former glory with a polish and conditioner. It'll provide a protective coating (goodbye, drying and fading) and give your front door a gorgeous shine.
3. Consider trying The Novogratz's "Room in a Box." Browse different room options, select the one you like the best, and items shown in the room's picture will be shipped to you. Your living space will look like something straight out of a design photo shoot, and you won't have to spend hours shopping for home decor or furniture.
4. Add peel-and-stick tile to walls that need a bit of excitement. That corner next to your bathroom vanity? Check. The wall behind your stovetop? Check. And, this easy DIY project will require little time and money to complete.
5. Hang cage pendant lights so you can brighten up your bathroom vanity or cozy reading corner without plugging in a bunch of lamps.
6. And! Use a handy recessed light converter to transform ordinary ceiling lights into chic pendants without complicated wiring.
7. And if you'd like to buy pendant lights, these vintage-style glass lights will look fabulous with some Edison bulbs. Plus, they'll add a touch of sophistication to your kitchen or dining room setup.
8. Place some faux monstera stems in a vase and display them on your coffee table, nightstand, or dresser. These artificial plant babies are très chic and they don't need to be watered.
9. Make the switch to a peel-and-stick wallpaper if you'd like to level up a kitchen corner or small staircase. Your living space will look like a mini Mediterranean villa when IRL, you didn't spend thousands on renovations.
10. Design a DIY art ledge that'll show off your favorite art prints and photos. Install narrow floating shelves above a piece of furniture and your room will appear larger than it actually is (plus, no more bare walls).
11. Add a fresh coat of paint (like this gorgeous blue shade below) to your front door. The exterior of your house will look like a cover shot for a home decor magazine.
12. Apply frosted films to glass windows and doors for additional privacy. Your neighbors don't need to catch a view of you vacuuming or making TikTok videos. You can also use it to decorate bathroom and kitchen cabinets.
13. Update the pillows on your bed and couch with these pom-pom pillow covers. Sometimes a subtle decor switch makes a big difference when it comes to your living space.
14. Buy a multifunctional shelf that'll double up as home decor *and* an accessible storage spot. It'll work great for the bathroom (now you can finally find that shampoo!) or kitchen where all your spices will be within arm's reach.
15. Move your plant baby and plop 'em into something cute, like a seagrass basket. A table isn't the only spot in the house where you can display your favorite greenery.
16. Grab a roll of faux marble contact paper and give your unappealing countertops, fireplace, and furniture an inexpensive makeover.
17. Restore dated furniture with a fresh coat of chalk paint. Chalk paint works well with wooden furniture, so it only requires a little prep work before applying (more on that below).
18. Craft an eye-catching design with a wall or floor stencil and some paint in small living spaces, like a laundry nook or entryway. You'll be amazed to see how this DIY project takes your walls to the next level.
19. Brighten up your living room with sheer curtains that'll let lots of sunlight stream in. BRB, moving my couch to the nearest window (and ordering two of these ASAP).
20. Stick accent magnets to your bare garage door for an easy, minimal-effort refresh that doesn't require any drilling. Everyone will think you installed new garage doors when you just placed these decorative strips on them.
21. Take your living room layout to new heights with an eye-catching lamp. With a cool base and beautiful gold design, it will dress up any side table next to your couch.
22. Switch bulky furniture legs with an option that'll match your decor aesthetic. These little helpers will ~lift~ any cabinet and sofa and give them a luxurious look.
23. Or! Extend the life of your older furniture and swap in these hairpin legs. Peep at the before and after photo below to see a wow-worthy table transformation. 😲
24. Instead of knocking down a boring wall, create your own wood herringbone accent wall that'll give it an HGTVworthy revamp. It doesn't require a lot of supplies and you can check out the full tutorial below.
26. Use jumbo clothespin towel holders instead of bulky shelves for bathroom linens. They'll be so handy when you're cold after a shower and need to wrap yourself in something warm, stat. They're also very durable and will look great next to a tub or above a toilet.
27. Buy a cabinet painting kit for your kitchen, because it'll give your cabinets an easy and affordable update without ripping them out and replacing them. Paint them all one color *or* change it up with a different shade for top and bottom cabinets.
28. And! Switch out plain pulls for some gold ones that'll add a fancy touch to your kitchen cabinets or bedroom dresser.
29. Wrap copper tape around picture frames or framed art to give your gallery wall a fun and seamless revamp.
30. Apply a brick whitewash paint if you'd like your fireplace to have a farmhouse-inspired appearance. Now all you need are some antiques, picture frames, and a leaf garland to complete your cozy setup.
31. Think outside the box with removable botanical wallpaper. It works for framed paneling above your nightstand or as a stylish background in between closet shelves. Don't be afraid to get creative with it!
32. Hang a new chandelier — like this post-modern beauty — so it can be a cool focal point in your dining room. Just picture yourself looking up at it while you eat a delicious meal and drink a glass of wine.
33. Or place a ceiling medallion above a light fixture for all the royal feels. Whether you have a small chandelier or geometric pendant, this accent piece will make you feel like you're on the set of Bridgerton.
34. Install stick-on lights to give your kitchen a soothing glow, no matter what time of day it is. The cabinets above your appliances and counters will be *chef's kiss* amazing with a little illuminating.
35. Cover up chips, scrapes, and scratches on your old furniture with pretty floral decals. All you have to do is rub them onto your piece of furniture with a wooden stick (no polishing or painting required) and they'll give it a beautiful design.
36. Upgrade your bathroom with a stainless-steel rainfall showerhead that'll turn your shower into a spa retreat. The sound of water trickling down tile will be so relaxing while you wash your hair and body.
37. And lay out interlocking teak tiles that'll give your shower floor a tropical vibe. No tools are required to install them and you'll be glad you took the plunge to revamp your relaxing sanctuary.
38. Elevate an empty space with a textured comfy rug. Your reading nook just received a cozy makeover, because you can finally place your feet on something soft.
Reviews have been edited for length and/or clarity.