1. 5 Pointz was a graffiti haven in New York City, located in the Long Island City section of Queens.
2. It was a series of properties that owner Jerry Wolkoff had allowed to be used by aerosol painters as a giant urban canvas.
3. 5 Pointz had been accumulating massive pieces of art since the early ’90s.
8. The sprawling graffiti compound became legendary for providing NYC subway commuters with a stunning view.
11. In 2011, however, Wolkoff announced plans to demolish the site and convert it into high-rise condos.
12. The 5 Pointz community banded together and fought to get their work designated as “Art Of Significant Stature,” so that it might be protected under the Visual Artist’s Rights Act.
13. A federal judge last week rejected their petition, allowing construction to begin.
14. Last night, between the hours of 3:00am and 8:00am, painters began whitewashing the works of 5 Pointz.
15. Nearly 20 years worth of tagging was painted over in the dead of night.
16. All that remains of the aerosol art are photos such as these.
17. R.I.P., 5 Pointz.
- And no, people aren't drilling headphone jacks into their new iPhone 7's 📱❌