1. Computer hackers have targeted JPMorgan Chase & Co. and at least four other banks in a coordinated attack on U.S. financial institutions in the past month, Bloomberg is reporting.
Two unidentified sources — one a U.S. official and another a person briefed by U.S. law enforcement — discussed the incident with Bloomberg, with one saying that the theft of customer data could be used to drain accounts.
A third person said that employee data had been breached, and that the scale of the theft — which involved many gigabytes of data — meant there was potential for serious fraud.
2. Bloomberg’s report says the FBI is in the process of investigating whether Russian hackers were involved in attacks on JPMorgan and at least one other bank.
The attack may have been in retaliation for sanctions placed on the country for its involvement in the ongoing conflict in eastern Ukraine.
In a statement, JPMorgan spokesperson Trish Wexler said: “Banks of our size unfortunately experience cyberattacks nearly every day. We have multiple layers of defense to counteract any threats and constantly monitor fraud levels.”
According to the Guardian, Wexler did not confirm the reports.
“We are working with the United States Secret Service to determine the scope of recently reported cyber attacks against several American financial institutions,” FBI spokesman Joshua Campbell said in a statement.
4. JPMorgan is America’s largest bank in terms of assets.
The Wall Street Journal said the hacking incidents marked a “significant breach of corporate computer security.”
This piece has been updated with the statement from Joshua Campbell.
- The suspect wanted for killing 39 people at an Istanbul nightclub on New Years Day has been captured, Turkish media reports.
- Women are arguing about whether people who are anti-abortion rights should participate in the upcoming Women's March.
- Umm. Over half of the population across 22 countries believe their system is failing and rigged, a new poll says 🌎🤔
- People are melting after a girl shared photos of her pitbull on Twitter in order to speak out against laws banning the animal 🐶😭