back to top

Cartoonist Luz Quits Charlie Hebdo

Luz — real name Renald Luzier — drew the magazine's front cover following the deadly terror attack on their offices in January. The cartoonist said that drawing for the magazine is "too much to bear."

Posted on

The Charlie Hebdo cartoonist who drew the magazine's front cover following the terrorist massacre at the publication's Paris office in January told French newspaper Libération on Monday that he is to quit the publication.

Martin Bureau / AFP / Getty Images

French cartoonist Renald Luzier, aka Luz, reveals the first issue of Charlie Hebdo following the terror attack on their offices, Jan. 13.

In an interview published on Libération's website, Renald Luzier — better known as Luz — said that drawing for the satirical magazine had become "too much to bear."

Luz : «Je ne serai plus Charlie Hebdo mais je serai toujours Charlie» (@quentingirard)

"There was hardly anyone left to draw; I found myself doing three front pages out of four," Luz added.

"Each issue is torture because the others are gone," he said.

"Spending sleepless nights summoning the dead, wondering what Charb, Cabu, Honore, Tignous [colleagues who died in the attack] would have done is exhausting."

Luz, who had been at the magazine since 1992, described the decision as "a very personal choice."

Days after the attack on the magazine's offices in central Paris, which killed 12 people including many of his high-profile colleagues, Luz drew a cover featuring a tearful prophet Muhammed holding a sign saying "Je Suis Charlie," featuring the headline "All Is Forgiven."

Last month, he told French magazine Inrocks he would stop drawing pictures of the prophet — an act which is considered offensive by many Muslims — as it "no longer interested him."

He will leave Charlie Hebdo in September.

Francis Whittaker is a homepage editor for BuzzFeed News and is based in London.

Contact Francis Whittaker at

Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.