1. The Original: Lorde - Royals
Look, I know you’re already sick of hearing “Royals” but Pentatonix’s amazing a capella version puts the original to shame.
The Cover: Pentatonix
2. The Original: LMAFO - Sexy And I Know It
I can’t decide what I hate more, this song or the video. Truthfully? It’s a tie. But this bluesy acoustic cover by Only1Noah gives the song new life and suddenly makes the douchey lyrics kinda sexy.
The Cover: Only1Noah - Sexy and I Know It
3. The Original: Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball
I am the LAST person on earth that wants to give Miley Cyrus props, but all sledgehammer licking aside, you can’t deny this is a pretty damned good pop balled. With that being said, Miley’s raspy warbling doesn’t even BEGIN to compare to this bluesy harmony heavy rendition from Walk off the Earth’s Sarah Blackwood and her friends Jenni and Emily.
The Cover: Sarah Blackwood, Jenni and Emily - Wrecking Ball
4. The Original: Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Thrift Shop
Oh snap! Another song that you’re absolutely sick of hearing! But bear with me on this one. This Great Gatsby inspired cover by Scott Bradlee’s Post Modern Jukebox Band is miles above the original. Plus, it’s kind of amazing to hear Robyn croon “cause it smells like R Kelly’s Sheets”
The Cover: The Postmodern Jukebox Band - Thrift Shop (Vintage “Grandpa Style” Macklemore Cover)
5. The Original: Rihanna - We Found Love
Now you know list of annoying pop songs wouldn’t be complete without a track from Rihanna. Initially I gave this Lindsey Stirling cover major side eye, due to the “white girl goes to Africa savior” themed video, but the song is actually pretty good. Plus, she actually got the local Kenyan artists involved with backing vocals and drumming (although they aren’t actually credited by name…). So yeah, I’m still giving the cover some side eye, but it’s miles better than Rihanna’s auto-tuned, struggling to stay on pitch howling.
The Cover: Lindsey Stirling (VenTribe) - We Found Love
- Donald Trump promised insurance for everyone this weekend, but Senate Republicans say they assume he misspoke.
- Blue Lies Matter: Video finally proved that police officers lie — and why they get away with it.
- Obama shortened Chelsea Manning's 35-year sentence for leaking documents to WikiLeaks. She'll be freed in May.
- A Toronto man is on a mission to bathe at a different stranger's house every day this month. And so far, so good🛀