1. Why did the opposition oust Yanukovich after he conceded to their demands?
They didn’t. Yanukovych fled Ukraine before fulfilling his commitments under the 21 February agreement. His abandonment of office was confirmed by a constitutional and overwhelming majority in a free vote in the Ukrainian Parliament, including representatives of Yanukovych’s Party of the Regions.
2. Why is the coup-appointed govt replacing oligarchs linked to Yanukovich with… oligarchs?
Firstly, this was not a coup. See answer 1 above.
Secondly, who is appointed by the elected Government of Ukraine is a matter for the people and Government of Ukraine not any other foreign power – either the West or Russia. We support the people of Ukraine and want them to choose their own future.
3. Why did the post-coup parliament strip Russian language of its regional status?
This is not the case. Firstly, this was not a coup, see answer 1. Secondly, President Oleksandr Turchynov refused to sign legislation repealing the existing language law. Instead he recommended drafting a new law addressing the interests of all language groups in Ukraine.
4. Why did Kiev attack the Constitutional Court?
This is a matter for the people, parliament and Government of Ukraine. If the people of Ukraine are not happy about the actions taken, they will have the opportunity to vote in May. However, it is clear that significant parts of the judicial system of Ukraine – including several of the judges in the Constitutional Court - had lost the confidence of the people and legitimate Parliament and Government of Ukraine.
5. Why would the West support the coup in Ukraine?
There was no coup. See number 1.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. It is also not paid advertising. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- The Trump administration wants to send immigrants caught at the southern US border to Mexico even if they're not from the country.
- Several states will keep enforcing bans against transgender discrimination in schools after Trump withdrew guidelines protecting students.
- Police arrested at least 10 people on Wednesday as they began clearing out protester camps at the Dakota Access Pipeline site.
- A couple recently celebrated their engagement with a "La La Land" inspired photo shoot, and it's pretty cute 💍📷