9. Also, it doesn’t have to be hard to make.
NYC baker Jim Lahey popularized this genius no-knead method when he published his cookbook last spring. Kneading is not so strenuous (it’ll never cramp your biceps like whipping egg whites can), but doing it correctly requires a lot of practice, trial, and error. To knead properly, you must form a relationship with your dough, find your rhythm, and sense when it’s feeling too dry, or leathery, or loose (and how to fix it).
Here, there’s none of that. After mixing the flour, salt, yeast, and water, you just flop the dough around a couple times and wait until it’s risen. Granted, that rising part takes about 18 hours. But then you can keep the dough refrigerated for up to three days until you’re ready to use it.
11. You will need:
500 grams (17 1/2 ounces or about 3 3/4 unsifted cups) all-purpose flour, plus more for shaping the dough
1 gram (1/4 teaspoon) active dry yeast
16 grams (2 teaspoons) fine sea salt
350 grams (11/2 cups) water
-A scale so that you can use the exact quantity of dry ingredients this recipe calls for.
-A very hot oven and a pizza stone. A pizza stone is a ceramic or stone slab that distributes heat evenly and is a little porous, so it draws moisture out of your crust to make it crispy. You can use a baking sheet if you have to.
-A pizza peel — the huge spatula thing that pizza makers use to slide a pie in and out of a super-hot oven. In a pinch, you can actually use the bottom of a cardboard pizza box — build the pizza on top of it then slide the pizza onto the stone, and slide it underneath the pizza to get it out of the oven.
- President Trump signed executive orders today to advance the controversial Keystone XL and Dakota Access oil pipelines.
- 2017 Oscar nominations for Best Picture include: "La La Land," "Moonlight," "Arrival," and "Hidden Figures" 🎥 🎬
- White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer repeated claims that the inauguration was the most watched ever. But the numbers (still) don't make sense.
- Britain's Supreme Court has ruled that Prime Minister Theresa May needs to consult parliament before triggering Brexit.