1. Artichokes, man.
They’re too sassy for their own good, what with the spines and the furry bits and the stalks and all kinds of entrapments designed to prevent you from enjoying the tender deliciousness that lies at their core. But NO LONGER should you let them sass you. Follow these steps to take control of the situation and show artichokes what’s what.
11. Now it’s time to take out the choke.
The choke is the hairy, pointy-looking bit inside the heart. You can take it out now OR after cooking, if you’d rather. And if you’re using cute little baby artichokes, don’t even worry about the choke — you get to skip this step.
16. But if you’re planning to braise, fry, or stew your artichokes whole, don’t stop yet.
You’ll need to remove all the tough, dark green leaves, too. Keep pulling leaves till you get down to the supple, lighter colored ones, and pare away any tough spots from the stem.
- Donald Trump's campaign chief Stephen Bannon said "he doesn't like Jews," according to his ex-wife.
- Facebook shifts to algorithms to decide which stories to highlight in its trending news section after allegations of liberal bias at the company.
- Far-right protesters climbed Berlin's famous Brandenburg Gate to protest against refugees. About 1.1 million asylum-seekers arrived in Germany last year.