1. Artichokes, man.
They’re too sassy for their own good, what with the spines and the furry bits and the stalks and all kinds of entrapments designed to prevent you from enjoying the tender deliciousness that lies at their core. But NO LONGER should you let them sass you. Follow these steps to take control of the situation and show artichokes what’s what.
11. Now it’s time to take out the choke.
The choke is the hairy, pointy-looking bit inside the heart. You can take it out now OR after cooking, if you’d rather. And if you’re using cute little baby artichokes, don’t even worry about the choke — you get to skip this step.
16. But if you’re planning to braise, fry, or stew your artichokes whole, don’t stop yet.
You’ll need to remove all the tough, dark green leaves, too. Keep pulling leaves till you get down to the supple, lighter colored ones, and pare away any tough spots from the stem.
- UK voters sent a massive shock through the world, overturning 40 years of British EU membership.
- EU leaders gathered for talks and agreed they want Britain to leave "as soon as possible."
- Scottish leader Nicola Sturgeon says a second independence referendum for Scotland is "highly likely."
- Prime Minister David Cameron says he will resign by October.