We asked the BuzzFeed Community to tell us an unexpected bright spot that happened to them this year, despite 2020 being relatively awful. Here's all the good news that might make your day a little better:
1. "My husband has been cancer-free for three months now."
2. "My brother and I became closer."
"I got closer to my brother. I’ve never felt better with him. We used to fight all the time, but now he’s really my best friend. Quarantine did me great."
3. "I've been able to foster four dogs."
4. "I started working for an incredible nonprofit serving the homeless."
"I was planning on starting grad school to study public health, but the pandemic combined with the protests made me want to spend this time working in the field. I got a job working for an incredible nonprofit serving the homeless and it's been a life-changing experience."
5. "I used to dread gym class, but I found a love for running and completed my first half marathon."
6. "I've had the chance to spend quality time with my daughter before she goes to college."
"My beautiful daughter and I have gone for walks almost every day, sometimes as many as three walks per day. She will be off to college next year, so I'm treasuring each and every day that we are together."
7. "I started reading books for fun again."
8. "I have extra time to spend with my senior dog."
"I have a 17-year-old dog who I know is on limited time due to her age. I was able to work from home for five months, and I am so grateful for the extra time I've had with her during her senior years."
9. "My ex and I used to co-parent, but quarantine brought us back together."
10. "I left a job that was making me unhappy."
"I got out of a job that was making me really unhappy and spent every day for five months with my fiancé. We never used to get the same days off, so it was so nice to spend quality time with each other. I now have a job where I'm happy with much better hours so I can still spend days with my love."
11. "I had time to plan my wedding."
12. "My commuting fees were so big that now I'm actually able to save money."
"Working from home has saved me so much money! My commute to work is an hour each way, so it cost me £50 a week to fuel up. By end of month, I’d be panicking about only having £10 left! Since May, I’ve finally been able to put decent money into my savings account."
13. "I was able to spend more time with my mom the last few months of her life."
14. "I recovered from an eating disorder."
"I recovered from an eating disorder, something I never would’ve done without the surveillance and support of family during quarantine. I’m so grateful and so proud of myself for getting my life back."
15. "I learned to be truly confident in myself with minimal makeup."
16. "I started my own business."
"I took the plunge and started my own business! I sell embroidery kit subscription boxes. A few months after I started it, I lost my day job because of the virus, so now my embroidery literally pays the bills. I wake up every morning so thankful that I was able to get to this point. I know me as a little girl would be SO proud of me now, making money from art."
17. "I’ve come out to several friends and family members."
18. "I've 'met' so many lovely artists from all over the world on Zoom."
"I love painting and art, and since lockdown there have been no classes/life drawing except on Zoom. I've 'met' so many lovely artists from all over the world that I wouldn't have the chance to otherwise, and it's been amazing. I've made so many new artist friends. It'll always be the bright spot of 2020."
19. "I’m finally at the point where I’m not just saying I’m happy with my body in the mirror, but I’m actually believing it."
20. "I was laid off, but found a new job that's better."
"I was laid off from my job, but then found a job that ended up being better. It's closer to my home, pays better, and has more benefits. It's also a better use of my skills. It turned out losing my job was a blessing!"