"China used to buy our plastics, but they are no longer purchasing international plastics. We've created too much. There is more of a supply than demand, and we don’t have anywhere to send plastics," Poliz said. "One in three recycle trucks are turned away because they don’t have anymore space for them, so they're sent directly to a landfill. The best way for you help is make small changes."
What does that mean, exactly? Here's some easy tips Erin passed along:
* Purchase a reusable water bottle instead of bulk plastic ones.
* Bring your own reusable bags to the grocery store.
* And bring your own reusable produce bags, too!
* "No straw, please!" If you love using straws, consider purchasing a reusable one.
* Stop using plastic utensils and start using either bamboo utensils (they're biodegradable!) or reusable utensils.
* Forgo using lids when you grab a fountain drink.