1. 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Asher’s 2007 best-selling novel will air as 13-episode TV series on Netflix this year. The novel follows a boy named Clay who mysteriously receives a box of cassettes in the mail from a girl named Hannah, who committed suicide. Selena Gomez is a producer on the project that will star Dylan Minnette and Katherine Langford.
2. The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
Atwood’s award-winning 1985 novel will premiere on Hulu as a 10-episode series on April 26. This futuristic dystopian novel is set during a time when a radical group takes over the government and instill extreme tactics on the repression of women. Samira Wiley, Alexis Bledel, Elisabeth Moss, and many more will star in this series.
3. A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
The popular children’s series that debuted in 1999 gets its own 8-episode show with Netflix, set to air this January. The books follow Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire after the tragic death of their parents as they attempt to navigate their way around some truly terrible situations. Neil Patrick Harris will play Count Olaf. Watch the trailer here.
4. Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery
5. American Gods by Neil Gaiman
The show is based on Gaiman’s 2001 book, which follows Shadow, a man who returns to his hometown to find that the love of his life and best friend are dead. He is then left to put together the pieces. The first episode is set to premiere at the SXSW’s annual film festival on Starz network. Watch the trailer here.
6. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
7. Mind Hunter: Inside FBI’s Elite Serial Crime Unit by Mark Olshaker and John E. Douglas
David Fincher (House of Cards) and Charlize Theron’s collaboration, Mind Hunter, is set to debut on Netflix in 2017. The book is centered around two FBI agents as they attempt to crack cases by interviewing serial killers. Jonathan Groff is set to star in the adaptation.
8. The Cormoran Strike series by J.K. Rowling writing as Robert Galbraith
The Cormoran Strike series (beginning with the first novel, The Cuckoo’s Calling) is set to premiere on BBC in 2017 with HBO picking up U.S. and Canadian rights. These crime novels follow private detective, Cormoran Strike, as he solves a unique series of of cases. Tom Burke will play the role of Cormoran.
10. Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
11. The Terror by Dan Simmons
Based on the 2007 bestselling book, The Terror will be adapted into a 10-episode series that will be available to watch on AMC. The book is a fictionalized version of the disappearance of the HMS Erebus and HMS Terror in which a deadly predator seizes the ships, leaving the crew to fight for survival. Jared Harris is set to star in the adaptation.
- The suspect wanted for killing 39 people at an Istanbul nightclub on New Years Day has been captured, Turkish media reports.
- At least 31 Democrats are boycotting Donald Trump's inauguration after the president-elect criticized civil rights leader John Lewis.
- Umm. Over half of the population across 22 countries believe their system is failing and rigged, a new poll says 🌎🤔
- Spencer's is getting flooded with criticism for selling "Grab America By The Pussy" shirts, which many are saying normalizes sexual assault.