People Who Live Alone Are Sharing The Highly Underrated Advantages Of Doing Just That (And They're Pretty Good)
"You can walk around with no pants and go to the bathroom with the door open."
Let's face it — there's something to say about living alone. Privacy, quiet time...dare I go on?
Clearly the world of Reddit has a lot to say about the pleasures of living by themselves. When u/PR2831 asked, "What is a highly underrated advantage of living alone?", there was an outpouring of responses — and a lot were really thought-provoking.
1. "Never having to wait for the bathroom."
2. "Total control over heat and air-conditioning. Highly underrated. You can have control over your costs and/or your comfort."
3. "Everything is your own mess. I don't want to clean up after someone and I don't want to nag someone to clean. Those are all my dishes in the sink to do, or to let sit there for a week. Feels good."
4. "Every single item in your house is exactly where you left it the last time you used it."
5. "You can talk out loud to yourself (something I do often as I work from home) and nobody is around to think it's weird."
6. "You don't have to politely tell someone you will be out late."
7. "You don't have to tiptoe around the house worried you'll wake up roommates or family members."
"As someone who starts work at 6 a.m. and lives alone right now, it's a godsend to be able to walk through the house and turn lights on to see where I'm going rather than using my phone light."
8. "Learning life skills. Paying your bills, cleaning, time management, etc. You just end up learning these based on experience."
10. "Closet space. I never appreciated this until my girlfriend moved in. Now my closet is literally jammed packed with her clothes and I basically have a couple drawers for all of my stuff. There's no end to it either."
11. "Knowing exactly where everything is. There's no compromising. All my belongings are in the perfect place."
12. "The whole house is your bed. Fall asleep on the couch. Turn over and pass out on the office futon. You might even want to make it to your actual bed if it's worth the effort. But no matter what, there's nothing forcing you to an arbitrary sleep station. I don't even know why I have a bedroom anymore, the couch is so much more comfortable."
13. "I’m an introvert so when I come home, I want to be by myself. Social situations are draining and I can only re-energize by having alone time. I am not antisocial, but I have hidden in my room for hours for my roommate to leave because I don’t want to answer 'How was your day?' for the millionth time."
14. "No one will see or hear you cry."
15. "Being able to nap at the drop of a hat and having the peace and quiet to do so."
16. "You never have to worry about someone else paying their share of the rent on time."
17. "Dieting is like 400 times easier. I know it's a bad excuse, but hear me out. When I'm dieting I won't buy a single junk food item and I won't eat it since I won't have it."
18. "There are a lot of advantages but my top is not having to deal with people and their damn problems."