21 Times People Witnessed Their Coworkers Get Fired Extremely Fast
"I can tell you about a time I fired someone within five minutes."
Reddit user u/bartertownbeer asked the question, "What is the fastest you have ever seen a new coworker get fired?" and who would have thought that so many people would have a response to this question? The answers ranged from within five minutes of their starting the job to after one day on the job.
Here are some of the other great and quite funny responses:
1. "I work for a moving company in the Midwest. Most people didn't make it through the first week; they will hire literally anyone who can pass a drug test.
2. "We had a recent college grad who would use his corporate card for personal purchases. He figured that the company would just keep deducting from his paycheck until it was paid off.
3. "A week. I worked in a bar and a new girl started. At work she seemed a little rough but was fine.
4. "Heard this from a manager I worked with when I worked in fast food. There was this one kid who didn’t show up for work. He ditched work often, so the manager called around, couldn’t get anyone to fill in his shift, so she had to fill it for him.
5. "I work construction. We had two new hires who were friends starting the same day. Boss told one to take a coffee order and come back. Took everyone's money and said he needed his friend to go with him 'cause it was a big order. They never came back."
6. "First day of work, he walks in, says, 'What the fuck is up, dumbass?' to the guy who parked next to (but didn't touch) his new Camaro he bought since getting hired.
7. "A 19-year-old kid got hired to work the seafood counter. I saw him twice and then never again, so I asked a coworker what happened.
8. "Before their first day on orientation.
9. "Guy showed up to work at 7 a.m. on his first day with the smell of alcohol on his breath.
10. "This guy hadn't even started yet and had just sent out his introductory email to the whole company, which ended with incredibly explicit details about himself. He got fired before he even started."
11. "Day one, he hit a parked car in the parking lot with the person still inside. When he was confronted, he lost his mind and even used threats.
12. "This guy had been working a few days at a barn. Decided to smoke right by bales of hay. Manager saw him and fired him right on the spot. At farms, you don’t fuck around with fire."
13. "Five days. My boss hired an 'executive chef' — the dude didn't even know how to make a quesadilla."
14. "As a teenager, I worked at a bowling alley. Within an hour, a new girl was fired on the spot for dropping a ball on the foot of a complaining patron."
15. "A man was hired to do stock at a tea store that sold lots of delicate china. The manager walked into the back on his like third day and saw him just throwing boxes of teacups and teapots — instantly fired."
16. "About 35 minutes.
17. "Three hours into the first shift. Guy lost it while serving an annoying customer in a grocery shop and threw a cabbage at her. The manager came and told him to go home 'cause he was finished there.
18. This was just a summer job at a fast-food place. We had a new girl start, and within two days it was apparent that she was an idiot, and everyone knew it. You could already see the manager questioning his decision.
19. "I can tell you about a time I fired someone within five minutes.
20. "I once had to have HR tell a guy who was extremely qualified that we didn't have a place for him when I found out that his ex-wife already worked for me. Honestly, would have been happy to trade them, but she wasn't bad enough to fire, just not as good as her ex would have been.
21. "Two hours into their first shift. I was managing the front end of a local grocery store at the time. From the moment I met him, I could tell he was a real winner. I paired him up with a trainer to learn register and went back to doing the morning bookkeeping.
Do you have any stories about seeing people get fired too quickly? Let us know in the comments.
Note: Some responses have been edited for length and/or clarity.