The thought of traveling alone can sound a bit intimidating, but it can be one of the most rewarding experiences. And although we can't all travel right now, we can at least start thinking ahead.
If you're thinking of booking a solo trip in the future, there are some important things to know before you pack your bags. I spoke with several solo travel pros who offered their best tips and advice. Let me introduce them!
1. Buy an international SIM card prior to your trip.
2. Consider signing up for activities to meet like-minded people.
3. If you're traveling internationally, familiarize yourself with a few basic words in the country's language.
4. Be open to sitting with other people while out at dinner.
5. Bring a tripod to be your own photographer.
6. Capture your travel memories by journaling.
7. Plan out your transportation ahead of time.
8. Check TripAdvisor for small group day tours.
9. Meet and connect with locals while you travel.
10. Send your itinerary to a family member or friend.
11. Beware of pickpocketing, and invest in an anti-theft bag.
12. Lock up your valuables in a safe in your hotel room.
13. Join Facebook groups for solo travelers prior to your trip.
14. Play it safe by making several copies of your travel documents.
15. Take advantage of offline maps when you have bad cell service.
16. Be aware of the type of wire you're using at public charging stations.
17. Save those social media posts for after you leave your location.
18. Carry cash with you, but only as much as you need for the day.
19. Start off with a solo trip around the state you live in before going international.
20. When using public transportation, travel during the daytime instead of at night.
21. Do research on your destination's customs before packing your suitcase.
Disclaimer: This article was written to provide future travel recommendations or suggestions. However, it’s important to keep in mind your own health, community health, and COVID-19 exposure risk.