For a show that's supposed to be a comedy, Ted Lasso sure does make me cry a lot.
Sure, there are seemingly 1 million jokes per episode, but let's not kid ourselves. Sometimes it feels like Ted Lasso and its creators are hellbent on our collective emotional devastation.
To prove it, here are a bunch of funny Ted Lasso scenes, a bunch of sad ones, and some that manage to be both:
Spoiler warning! This list is roughly in episode order, so if you haven't seen either or both seasons of Ted Lasso, you're about to be spoiled. YouTube clips provided when possible to aid in your laughter (or tears).
1. Ted's first conversation with Rebecca in the pilot effectively lays the groundwork for their dynamic, but it's also chock-full of jokes.
2. But it became clear that it wasn't going to be all chuckles when Ted got to his new London apartment and called his estranged wife back in the US.
3. The panda vs. lion debate featured hilarious moments from Keeley, Ted, Rebecca, and Jamie.
4. But when Rebecca finally confessed that she'd been sabotaging the team ever since she hired Ted, there was nothing funny about it.
5. Roy's horrendous impression of Ted was very awful but also very funny.
6. But Ted's final conversation with Michelle, in which he finally agreed to get a divorce, was crushing.
7. The first Diamond Dogs meeting was funny, adorable, and exemplified Ted Lasso's rejection of toxic masculinity.
8. But when Ted had a panic attack during a team outing and Rebecca comforted him, there was nothing funny about it.
9. Roy and Ted passing the captain's badge back and forth was delightfully childish, and I giggled the whole time.
10. But Roy's career-ending injury after tackling Jamie was a bittersweet end to his Season 1 arc.
11. Nate's harsh but fair speech to the team was a Season 1 highlight that was funny and moving in equal measure.
12. Meanwhile, Ted's speech after Richmond got relegated was somewhat hopeful, but also REALLY FUCKING SAD.
Here's one last spoiler warning since the rest of these scenes are from Season 2!
13. Ted and Sharon's whole dynamic was a Season 2 highlight, but one of its funniest moments was when Ted walked Sharon home after her bike accident.
14. But one of its saddest moments was when Ted had a panic attack in the middle of a game and finally agreed to make a therapy appointment.
15. Ted became "Led Tasso" and pretended to be a jerk in order to get the team to be nice to Jamie, and it was completely preposterous...but also hilarious.
16. Nate, however, was very much not pretending when he viciously berated Will for giving him a "Wonderkid" jersey. This was just one of MANY heartbreaking Nate moments during the second season.
17. "Man City" was probably the saddest episode in Season 2, but it did have one moment of levity: Isaac giving Sam a haircut to help him prepare for a date while the rest of the team watched in awe.
18. But the episode's last scene in the Richmond locker room broke me into a million tiny little pieces.
19. Watching a team of professional soccer players rehearse the choreography from N'SYNC's "Bye Bye Bye" was never not gonna be chuckleworthy.
20. But Richmond's promotion at the end of Season 2 was worthy of a river of tears.
21. I don't know what made me laugh hardest during the scene when Jamie asked Roy to stop ignoring him.
22. But seeing Ted talk about his father's suicide while Rebecca talked about her father's infidelity had me in tears.
23. I can't explain why flipping people off is funny — it just is. So it was highly amusing when the Richmond coaches gave Jamie a unique signal to let him know when it was time to be "a prick" to the other team.
24. However, it was HEARTBREAKING when Trent texted Ted to let him know he wrote a story about Ted's panic attack, and also revealed that Nate was the anonymous source.
25. Brett Goldstein might just win his second Emmy for playing Roy with this hilarious reaction to Phoebe's bad breath.
26. But maybe someone could remind him and Juno Temple that this is a comedy, so that they don't break my heart with scenes like Roy and Keeley confessing a bunch of secrets to each other in the middle of a photo shoot.
27. If you didn't cackle with glee when Sassy told Rupert exactly what she thought of him at Rebecca's dad's funeral, your funny bone is broken.
28. And if it didn't crush you when Nate finally told Ted why he was so angry at him, you might not have a heart.
29. And finally, it's possibly the quickest joke of the season, but Ted's description of the team as "a Renaissance painting portraying masculine melancholy" was perfect.
Now before I let you go, I have to give a special mention to a few Ted Lasso scenes that are somehow both funny and sad at the same time.
30. Roy Kent rushing through London to get back to Richmond is a moment that will live in my mind forever.
31. The show literally rickrolled us all by having Rebecca sing "Never Gonna Give You Up" at her dad's funeral. Was it funny? Yes. Was it sad? Also yes. Was it oddly joyful? That too.
32. And of course, no conversation about Ted Lasso would be complete without mentioning the darts scene from Season 1.
Did I miss anything? What are your favorite Ted Lasso scenes? Discuss!
I could've included the whole show here — please know that it was very difficult to narrow it down.